Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

If you google "Thanos," a little Infinity Gauntlet icon comes up next to his name... click on it, and things happen.

Well, I saw Endgame this morning.

Short version: It was good, and like the finale of Breaking Bad, everything slid into its place and things ended satisfactorily; a wonderful coda to 11 years of MCU films.

Shorter version: Ultimate Marvel Fan Service Compilation

Things I (and most people probably) expected:

• The opening scene. Had to see that coming. People in the theater still gasping like it's a surprise. Loved the scene though, especially the lack of music.
    • Scott tells the Avengers about the Quantum Realm, team uses time travel to assemble their own Infinity Gauntlet. That's been the predominant fan theory since The Snap.
    • Tony sacrifices himself to pop off a new Snap.
    • Cap wields Mjolnir and his shield (fanservice alert).

Things that caught me by surprise:

• Fat Thor. And he didn't magically turn into Hot Thor after he picked up Mjolnir or some shit, he was Fat Thor for the whole movie. Awesome.
    • Professor Hulk. And he survives, so maybe we'll get a Professor Hulk movie?
    • Nat vs. Barton on Vormir. Two ninjas fighting over who gets to kill themselves. It was so quick, but it still kept me guessing the whole time, didn't know who was gonna come out on top. Amazing scene.
    • Captain America lives himself to death. What a beautiful ending, and it mirrored the famous "I had a date" <hard cut to black> ending of Captain America 1.
    • Appearances from Renee Russo, Robert Redford, Tilda Swinton, and Natalie Portman (maybe? she didn't talk, mighta been computers or old footage). Fucking EVERYONE was in this. Well, no Anthony Hopkins.
    • Marvel Studios de-aging tech has reached its zenith. Michael Douglas looking 25 again. Holy hell, realistic.
    • Chris Evans admiring his own ass.

Great moments:

• Thor thought he failed completely, fell into depression, became a fat alcoholic Fortnite addict. Then he got a pep talk from his dead Mom, called to Mjolnir, and found he was still worthy. The look on his face at that moment was great.
    • "And I... am... Iron Man." Another good callback.
    • "ARGH, SO MANY STAIRS"
    • Doctor Strange's finger. This is the 1 in 14 million, bro.
    • When the ship turns its guns skyward because something new has entered the upper atmosphere...

Weird moment:

• "Don't worry. She's got help." And then, 15 female characters who've never met each other suddenly materialize in the same 10 foot radius on a chaotic battlefield, to make a Socially Important Moment very awkward. #MeToo

Questions I have:

• Cap goes back in time with Mjolnir at the end, then shows up as Old Steve with the shield... and no hammer. Where'd it go?
    • Is Fat Thor gonna be in GOTG 3?
    Advanced time travel subjects: if they're not going with the single-timeline "Back to the Future" model, then why does Cap appear at the end of the movie? He should be in a whole different universe.
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-27-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    If you google "Thanos," a little Infinity Gauntlet icon comes up next to his name... click on it, and things happen.
    Click on it again, and other things happen!

Was talking to an Asian chick at work about Endgame, and she seemed confused about who was who. Like she thought Hawkeye and Cap were the same guy, apparently. Which would definitely make the movie more confusing.

ME: wait, do all white men look the same to you
    HER: yes
    ME: avengers movies must be a nightmare
    HER: tbh yeah
    ME: "white man with red costume, white man with lightning hammer, white man with arrow is my fave"
    HER: LOL
    HER: my thoughts exactly when I watched the first few avengers
    HER: white man with accent
    ME: white man who is also green sometimes

Different strokes...

Amazing shot. Don't look if you haven't seen Endgame, it's got some spoilers in there I guess. But amazing shot. The effects are obviously gorgeous, but the shot's composition is what sets it apart from other, similar scenes in movies like Justice League or Aquaman. It literally looks like something you'd see in a Romanticism exhibit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's a whole alternate universe of MCU movies that didn't pan out:

And I've never seen any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sheil View Post
    Click on it again, and other things happen!
    Awesome!
    - Definitely

I finally saw Endgame. I had to wait for a friend who was out of town.

During the movie I got to enjoy:
    - Little kids whispering throughout the movie
    - Doofuses using their iPhone flashlight feature to find their seats
    - People texting
    - Morons clapping at every little reveal
    - Ultra-moron teenagers finding it funny to clap during the Tony Stark death scene because the movie was basically silent at that moment.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old man, but I'm nearing the point of just making it a policy to wait for every single movie to come out on some streaming service and watching it at home.

I'm starting to think that Thanos may not have been wrong.
    - Definitely

I had a pretty well-behaved audience on opening weekend, but I went very early in the day. Not sure if that played a role.

I saw it on a Thursday at 12:30 pm and there were about 8 people in the theater. It was very relaxing.