Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

I ignored your advice and watched The Incredible Hulk because I'm a completionist at heart. I thought it was weird how little Hulk looked like Edward Norton, it was like they were already planning to replace him before the movie even got released. It was an OK movie , but I probably could have skipped it. I think Edward Norton did a good job of it, but the plot was pretty forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I ignored your advice and watched The Incredible Hulk because I'm a completionist at heart.
    Bless you my son. I only hope you survive to tell the tale.

I watched Thor today, which I had only seen as a Rifftrax. It felt really boring as a Rifftrax so my thought was that the movie must be pretty boring if people making fun of it can't make it interesting. It did make me watch all 4 Twilight movies after all. I realized today that it's not fair to judge a movie that way. Rifftrax introduces a vibe of "this sure is a terrible movie" whether or not it is. So I think I enjoyed the movie a lot more on its own. I liked Natalie Portman in this a lot more than I remember, though I don't buy them falling in love after knowing each other for about 4 seconds. I don't know if I buy Loki's motivations for being evil, unless (tiny) Ice Giants are naturally duplicitous. I thought I remembered Loki and Thor's relationship being more like Nebula and Gamora, pitted against each other, but that isn't the case at all.

I watched Thor today, which I had only seen as a Rifftrax. It felt really boring as a Rifftrax so my thought was that the movie must be pretty boring if people making fun of it can't make it interesting. It did make me watch all 4 Twilight movies after all. I realized today that it's not fair to judge a movie that way. Rifftrax introduces a vibe of "this sure is a terrible movie" whether or not it is. So I think I enjoyed the movie a lot more on its own.
    Wow, well I'm glad you gave it a second (real) watch, interesting. Not surprised to find out the presupposition of badness from Rifftrax tends to modify a viewing experience.

I watched Captain America yesterday and I really liked it. This was another one I'd only seen as a rifftrax, and the same thing applies here as with Thor. Steve actually had an arc and believable motivations. The origin story part was definitely better than the during credits sequence on Hulk where I don't know I guess some green stuff happened to him? The villain was even believable. Evil Nazi guy becomes even more evil after getting massive power, yeah I buy that. At first I was confused that Howard Stark was in this movie. I was thinking if he was old enough in 1941 to already be this established tech wizard that there would have to be some Howard Stark Jr/ Howard Stark Sr sort of thing. But then I sat down and did the math and it makes perfect sense actually.

If we assume Tony Stark was 45 in the 2010 Iron Man 2 then he was born in 1965 (this is RDJs actual birth date so it lines up )
    Then if we assume that Howard stark in the videos Tony watches is around John Slatter's actual age (he was 48 in 2010), that makes his birth data somewhere around 1917 which makes him about 24 during the events of Captain America.

I watched Captain America yesterday and I really liked it.
    I really love the first 2/3 or so of that movie. I should watch it again and see if my opinion of the rest changes at all. But the origin part of it was great.

By the way, are you catching the mid/post credits scenes in all these movies?

Yeah, it's nice to be able to fast forward through the credits so I can catch them.

I made this table. Because I'm amazed by what Marvel pulled off over the course of 10 years. I saw a very similar looking table roughly 8-9 years ago, laying out three "phases" of movie plans, and I thought to myself, suuuuuuure. But not only did they follow through, but the fact that all these characters have been introduced and given personalities means they can leap right into something like Infinity War with very little introductory material; we already know all the setup, just get to the good stuff plz.

I think that's why Infinity War has a slightly lower grade from critics. Fans love it, critics are a bit less sure; because the story structure isn't the same as in a typical movie. There's so little Act One. Unless... unless you consider Thanos to be the main character, that is.

Edit: And one more clever thing regarding their "grand plan" -- they've done a great job being careful to reveal what comes after Avengers 4. I give Kevin Feige a ton of credit for all this.

Who gets to live? Sony owns Spider-Man, so they revealed SM2 would be coming out... James Gunn himself leaked GOTG3... but aside from those spoilers, we have literally no idea who will die in Avengers 4. Doctor Strange 2? Black Panther 2? No announcements. For a company that planned out 10 years worth of films AND trumpeted the whole plan to the world, not announcing the next 10 years worth by now is showing a whole shitload of restraint for the sake of spoilers.

Phase Movie RT.com
    1 Iron Man 94
    1 Incredible Hulk 67
    1 Iron Man 2 73
    1 Thor 77
    1 Captain America 79
    1 Avengers 92
    2 Iron Man 3 80
    2 Thor 2 66
    2 Captain America 2 89
    2 GOTG 91
    2 Avengers 2 75
    2 Ant-Man 82
    3 Captain America 3 91
    3 Doctor Strange 89
    3 GOTG 2 83
    3 Spider-Man 92
    3 Thor 3 92
    3 Black Panther 97
    3 Avengers 3 83
    3 Ant-Man 2 ??
    3 Captain Marvel ??
    3 Avengers 4 ??
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Average of 83.7

Not too shabby.

I watched Avengers last week. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I'm kinda burnt out on the whole "guys fight a big thing" finale that a lot of movies seem to need to end with now. (I'm looking at you Fantastic Beasts). I know it was one of the first movies to use that trope, but that doesn't make me any less tired of it. I appreciated having watch all the other movies first (even Hulk) because they fleshed out the characters in a way that a single movie just wouldn't be able to. The death of Agent Coulson didn't really affect me since I know he's not actually dead and is staring in 17 seasons of some show I'm not going to watch.

I watched Iron Man 3 today. It was definitely better than Iron man 2 and close to Iron Man 1. I was spoiled on the identity of the Mandarin (surprisingly recently, I managed to go almost 5 years without getting spoiled) so I was expecting that twist. The villain was great and I really liked how Tony is actually affected by the events in Avengers. I liked the kid, though I think that his mom is just going to sell all the cool stuff in the garage to buy more crack or whatever she was up to the whole time. It wasn't clear to me at the end how Stark was able to get the shrapnel removed. They didn't make it sound like it was a medical or technological advancement. Was he just too busy to schedule a surgery? We could have skipped Iron Man 2 if he wasn't so busy.