Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

Pretty neat fan edit.

Holy shit, Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer? He was so young, yikes. Guess we won't get Black Panther 2. RIP in peace my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Holy shit, Chadwick Boseman died of colon cancer? He was so young, yikes. Guess we won't get Black Panther 2. RIP in peace my dude.
    Big oof.

First official chunk of Phase Two? Pretty neat trailer. The "Am I dead?" line got me.

EDIT: Speaking of Phase Two, going back and looking at the timeline on the last page... Marvel never officially announced a timeframe for Black Panther 2, no plans, no speculation, just people assuming it'd come eventually. Marvel almost definitely knew how rough Chadwick Boseman was getting, and I imagine they didn't plunk down much in the way of investments. Just in case.

First official chunk of Phase Two? Pretty neat trailer. The "Am I dead?" line got me.
    I may need to dust off my subscription to Disney+ for that.
    - Definitely

I was wondering if Nathan Fillion was ever gonna play a part in the MCU, and... I stumbled onto Simon Williams, an (in-universe) actor in GOTG 2.

He had a whole career, including playing Tony Stark in "Tony Stark."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay, so "Phase Four" of the MCU has officially kicked off with WandaVision.

I have to admit, Wanda and Vision (and their relationship) were among my least favorite elements of the movies. It's not that they were bad characters, I just... didn't care. They ranked down at the bottom of my personal "give a shit" meter, alongside dudes like Falcon and Quicksilver. Both Wanda and Vision are extremely powerful and have cool backstories, but for some reason they leave me so flat that I'd rather see Pepper Potts or Erik Selvig on screen.

So I was really hoping WandaVision would open up these characters for me. Give me some mental/emotional hooks to latch on to. Early trailers made it look like a total mind warp, so I started to hope for something like the excellent show Legion (which I never miss an opportunity to recommend wholeheartedly).

Well, here we go:

• Episode 1 is a note-perfect style parody of the Dick Van Dyke show, played totally straight for the first 19 minutes, complete with corny jokes and laugh tracks. Then one tiny crack appears in (what I assume is) the veneer of Wanda's desperate reality-bending. And then it goes right back to Dick Van Dyke after a 30-second WTF moment.
    • Episode 2 is more like Bewitched. Also played totally straight. Also cracking the veneer around the 15 minute mark, and also going right back to pure Bewitched vibes afterward.

You and I might enjoy these episodes from a technical perspective, but the average zoomer is not gonna appreciate the difference between 50s and 60s sitcoms. They're just seeing a lot of fucky black and white shit. Releasing this show on a weekly basis while playing it so close to the vest is bold as hell, and so far the show's IMDB rating is wallowing in the 7.5 range, which should surprise no one.

I'm impressed by the daring direction they've taken (especially given the show's slooooow rollout) and the sheer craft they've applied to what is clearly a loving recreation of TV history. I hope the mystery starts to unfurl soon, because I still find myself not caring about Wanda or Vision, but I'll definitely keep watching. It's a fun show so far.

I'm impressed by the daring direction they've taken (especially given the show's slooooow rollout) and the sheer craft they've applied to what is clearly a loving recreation of TV history. I hope the mystery starts to unfurl soon, because I still find myself not caring about Wanda or Vision, but I'll definitely keep watching. It's a fun show so far.
    I let my Disney+ membership lapse. Mandalorian just wasn't enough to justify it. Now you've got me questioning my decision.
    - Definitely

• Episode 1 is a note-perfect style parody of the Dick Van Dyke show
    • Episode 2 is more like Bewitched
    • Episode 3 is full-on Brady Bunch DNA. More cracks, Wanda's losing her grip, Vision's figuring something out.

This show is unfolding so slowly, I'm amazed. But I think it's a great way to amp up the tension. Highly recommend binging it though. The weekly releases are tough when each episode introduces so little new information in the gaps between perfect TV parodies.