Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

Huh, I somehow neglected to mention Shang-Chi. Shang-Chi was awesome! I loved it.

Uhhh, anyway. I came here to post that this guy is apparently this guy and wow, isn't that neat? But it feels hollow in a thread where Shang-Chi has not yet been properly discussed.

Anybody else see it? Absolutely the best action an MCU movie has had so far. It devolved into a CGfest at the end (as they all do) but it was still good. The villain was terrific, and a sympathetic character. Awkwafina was hilarious. I hated her because she has a stupid name, but I'd never actually seen her in anything. Now I'm an Awkwafina fan.

So, yeah, Shang-Chi. I recommend it! I emerged from my COVID cave and saw my first actual movie, in an actual theater since Rise of Skywalker in December of 2019. Wow. Can that be true? Maybe, not sure. Sounds true.

How busy was the theater?

Pretty empty. I saw it at least a couple weeks after release, but... pretty empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Episode 4 Dr. Strange was decent, and now episode 8 Ultron joins it in the Pantheon of Okay Episodes. Would have been better without Dollar Store James Spader voice acting, but... oh well.
    The finale (episode 9) sucked.

One minute, Infinity Ultron is literally eating galaxies, the next he's losing a big dumb punchfight with Captain Carter while Black Widow flies a motorcycle through the sky and shoots a USB stick into his eyeball.

Good visuals and sound design and stuff. But the story was nonsense.

Well, James Gunn revealed (seemingly not as a joke?) that Will Poulter will be playing Adam Warlock in GOTG3.

(Warlock is known for traveling the cosmos, doing more or less whatever he pleases while wearing an immense amount of eyeshadow)

My first reaction was: wow, interesting casting choice.

My second reaction was: hey, Marvel's casting has been pretty on-point for 12 years, even in some of the crazier cases (Drax, Rocket, Thanos, Ego, Jeff Goldblum).

My third reaction was: damn, artists already moving fast:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I saw Eternals yesterday.

The first 45 minutes (or so) were painfully boring. The movie introduced 58 new characters with 1 personality to share between them. I was rolling my eyes and considering leaving the theater.

It did get better, though. Round about the time the matrix of leadership passed to Ultra Magnus Sersi and they began reassembling the team. Specifically I'd say I started enjoying myself when they went to Australia and met up with Thena and Gilgamesh. But that was, seriously, nearly an hour into this 2.5 hour film.

Oh well, whatever. The characters began to develop some personality, the antagonist began to distinguish itself, and the full cosmic glory of a plot involving Celestials began to unfold. For real: if the shot of Arishem showing up at the end of the movie, pissed off at Sersi and the gang, peering down from space and yanking the Eternals up through the atmosphere for a "quick chat" doesn't give you a twinge of existential dread, you're more psychologically sound than me.

I think my favorite moments were the trip to visit Druig, Phastos dad-dicking Ikaris, and Thena killing the ultra-Deviant through a fog of mahd w'yry..

What was the deal with the ultra-Deviant though? It was the main villain for much of the film... but could easily have been deleted, its plot amounted to nothing. Yes, it killed a couple Eternals and took their powers, but wouldn't that have been more compelling as a "mystery killer" that turned out to be Ikaris? The ultra-Deviant shows up at the end, throws a couple punches, and Thena kills it so they can focus on Ikaris and Tiamut. I dunno, just seems like it could have been written out entirely. If you can simplify a 2.5 hour movie with a boring first half, I say do it.

First two episodes of Hawkeye came out this week.

I was pretty sure I'd hate it based on the marketing; it looked like it was for kids, with the holiday theme, the Katniss Everdeen protagonist and her friend Air Bud.

But you know what? After two episodes, I really like it a lot. Hailee Steinfeld is better than expected as Kate Bishop, and Hawkeye is the most relatable Avenger by far. The writing makes sense, too. It would be easy to portray him as an old grumpy bastard, but instead he's worn out and patient, more of a father figure (racked with guilt) than a ninja badass. In his interactions with his family, it would be easy to write the same adversarial bullshit we get in every husband/wife duo, where they hide information from each other and/or the "spouse at home" pathologically refuses to understand the situation his/her "spouse doing shit" is in... but instead, Clint's wife is 100% behind him and they have a healthy relationship, even though he might be late for Christmas.

Could all of that turn on a dime over the rest of the episodes? Sure. We call that a plot arc. But so far, it's really good.