Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Also dredging up some rando oldskool mob heavy man who's completely Frank's equal was a bit of a stretch. I wish they didn't feel like they had to almost kill Frank each season. He's a superhero, he's supposed to kick everyone's ass, that's the point.
    Dude, between this and your reaction to Daredevil/Bullseye, you don't care much for the "heroes meeting their match" trope, do you?

That's, like, the only way to drag out dramatic tension for a 10-13 episode series. Plus, superheroes in the comics tend to get their asses kicked, that's really a fundament of the genre. You can't heroically rise up and overcome the odds if you never get beat down to begin with.

superman.jpg batman.jpg spider-man.jpg

daredevil.jpg

punisher.jpg

EDIT: That said, now I'm watching Special Agent Madani get beat up by a psychiatrist.

I get that they should have an equal, but some of it seems too random. Maybe you have the advantage of comic book historical archives to fill in blanks about this crap, but I don't know anything about the mob guy and suddenly he is an equal to an elite career soldier who regularly walks into a room of 20 guys and kills them all without turning his head. That's just too big a leap for my brain. Yeah, there was a scene where people professed to being scared of him, but he's still just a mob hitman. "Oh, my life growing up on the mean streets trained me to be an assassin." bullshit.

Bullseye is dumb because he literally doesn't have a superpower, but they let him throw shit like it's a super power. At least hit him with a blast of radiation or something. Give him a bionic arm. But he was a really good pitcher as a kid turned into "I can literally pick up any object and throw it with such force and accuracy to kill at 20 yards." Daredevil literally has superpowers. Kingpin is a monster physical specimen because he works out and is huge. While Bullseye may have good aim the force required to throw a Mars bar and puncture your skull is beyond his human strength.

And yeah, fuck that fight with Madani and the doctor. The only possible explanation is Madani held back so she didn't kill the doctor and the doctor was out for blood. But still.

Maybe you have the advantage of comic book historical archives to fill in blanks about this crap, but I don't know anything about the mob guy and suddenly he is an equal to an elite career soldier
    I don't think the mob guy (John Pilgrim) is from the comics. He's new for the show. But his "random appearance" is part of the allure of the story: the implication that there are scary, tough, dangerous people hidden out there, lurking behind the scenes, and if you attract their attention you're in trouble.

Frankly, it's scarier because it's more realistic than a bunch of hardass "elite career soldiers" bombing around New York punching each other. Soldiers who go crazy in real life and shoot a bunch of innocents don't get very far. Meanwhile, this dude killed 35 people for the cartels, and nobody has any idea who he is.

I think the reason people enjoy The Punisher is that he's not a superhero. Frank's superpowers are that he has a lot of guns and he's crazy. He's just an everyman who lost his mind and hates criminals. He's rigid, determined, and has zero morals (but strict ethics). People like that, not just the fact that he can punch real hard.

Bullseye is dumb because he literally doesn't have a superpower, but they let him throw shit like it's a super power.
    He doesn't have superpowers in the comics, either. Daredevil has a "superpower," but it's iffy at best (really, really good hearing). It helps him "see," but it doesn't help him fight (aside from the ways he uses his heightened senses tactically).

That said, comic book reality is clearly elevated. Otherwise-normal guys like Daredevil and Bullseye display completely impossible abilities. Bullseye once killed a guy by spitting his own tooth through the dude's skull.

How do you portray that shit in a more realistic setting? Uhh, I dunno, just go for it I guess. Good luck. But behind Kingpin, there is no more iconic Daredevil villain than Bullseye, so you gotta make the attempt.

I suppose you have some good points. Maybe I'm applying too realistic constraints to fairy tales. I still like the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I just saw Spider-Mans, and it was outstanding. I loved (almost) every minute. Expecting to see it nominated for best animated feature, and wouldn't be too surprised to see it come away with a win (despite competition from Incredibles 2, Isle of Dogs, and god knows what else). It really was that good.
    yeahhh boyyy

I saw Captain Marvel today. It was pretty good. Not boring, didn't overstay its welcome. Paced well, good characters, good acting. I even liked Brie Larson -- a lot of people have been whining that she's boring, but I thought the character was fine. Some of the writing sucked, and Lee Pace mad phoned it in.

On my own personal Marvel movie continuum, I'd put it somewhere above the Ant-Man movies, and below Doctor Strange.

The movie also had new trailers for Shazam, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, and Spider-Man 2, all of which were real good. Sansa's a mediocre actress if you ask me, but the Dark Phoenix trailer looked especially badass. Also liked the remix of "My Name Is" in Shazam, and Jake Gyllenhaal looks cool as Mysterio. What I'm saying is, whoever put together the trailer selection for the latest comic book movie sure seems to know their audience.

I saw Captain Marvel today. It was pretty good. Not boring, didn't overstay its welcome. Paced well, good characters, good acting. I even liked Brie Larson -- a lot of people have been whining that she's boring, but I thought the character was fine. Some of the writing sucked, and Lee Pace mad phoned it in.

On my own personal Marvel movie continuum, I'd put it somewhere above the Ant-Man movies, and below Doctor Strange.
    100% spot on review. The only thing I would add is a slightly different phrasing: I'd put this one directly in the middle of the Marvel movie pack. Since even bad Marvel movies are watchable, that means Captain Marvel was pretty good.

I loved the fact that they made Agent Fury a big softie for cats

Stay for the very end of the credits.
    - Definitely

This belongs in the DC thread

Quote Originally Posted by gnod View Post
    This belongs in the DC thread
    You're right. I put it here because it was a trailer on Captain Marvel, but now I feel horrible.

I was actually a little surprised to see it before a Marvel movie, but... same audience, and companies advertise on each other's movies all the time, so why wouldn't it be there? It still seemed wrong to me, but I might have been the only one in the theater who thought it was incongruous.

Saw it with my daughters, the girlfriend, and her daughters. Lots of very excited little girls around me. I did think it was good, even if Brie Larson really doesn't do much for me. I found it interesting that the only time she ever really seems to exhibit some emotion was when she was 99% CGI.