Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

Deadpool 2 has Josh Brolin as Cable (time travelling telekinetic cyborg from a future where Apocalypse took over), and they just posted a promotional shot:

20638533_1140130916131029_7145633899737886477_n.jpg

Not bad. He doesn't look beefy and pissed off enough, but he'll do.

CABLE_post_master.jpg

Well, the giant 25-movie Marvel Plan has finally begun to reach its culmination, and as expected it's a giant wankfest. They're going to spend so much time trotting fifteen dozen characters across the screen for their moment(s) in the sun, there won't be any room for a plot unless the thing is 4 hours long.

Just look at this thumbnail. War Machine? Hawk Person nobody cares about because he's not played by Will Smith? Black Panther, okay, I get it, but who cares about Other African Lady?

And it's not just Doctor Strange, it's also Doctor Strange's Boyfriend/Sidekick. Anybody remember Ant Man? I don't. Ant Man's in this thing too, hooray!

Last edited by Macheath; 11-29-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Hmmm, I hope Infinity War is this good

I enjoyed this. The breakdown of Steve Rogers around the 11:00 mark was especially good.

Looks pretty cool. I'm having a hard time imagining all that fitting into one movie.

The line about Thanos wanting to "wipe out half the universe" makes me think they're going to stick to the original Infinity Gauntlet plot point that he's doing all this shit specifically to impress Lady Death.

Deadpool-Thanos-Death-3.jpg

I always thought that was the weakest part of the whole storyline, and I legit did not think they'd go there in the MCU. Kind of stupid, honestly, but it will please all the weird fangirls who are only familiar with the newer comics that have a sexier Lady Death in a love triangle with Thanos and Deadpool. Which, frankly, is even stupider.

Deadpool_vs._Thanos_Vol_1_1_Hastings_Exclusive_Variant.jpg

Oh well.

So, I watched Infinity War on Sunday afternoon. I did like it. Obviously sets up the second Infinity War film and left a few odd nuggets that perhaps I'm reading too much into.

So Doctor Strange looks at 14.7M possible outcomes and they choose the path they did. He then says something cryptic to Stark as he's fading away making me think they were still on the path he saw, but who knows.
    No Lady Death that I could tell. Kinda thought the Thanos thing in the shallow water with the little girl would be that, but then it's just young Gamora instead. I don't see them coming back with Lady Death in the second movie without any set-up in this one though.
    The post-credits scene: He pushes a button on a beeper. Pretty much a 50/50 chance anyone gets it since half the population of the galaxy is just blinking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    So Doctor Strange looks at 14.7M possible outcomes and they choose the path they did. He then says something cryptic to Stark as he's fading away making me think they were still on the path he saw, but who knows.
    Yup, pretty clear foreshadowing.

No Lady Death that I could tell. Kinda thought the Thanos thing in the shallow water with the little girl would be that, but then it's just young Gamora instead. I don't see them coming back with Lady Death in the second movie without any set-up in this one though.
    Nah, they didn't go that direction, thankfully. They came up with much better and more believable motivation.

The post-credits scene: He pushes a button on a beeper. Pretty much a 50/50 chance anyone gets it since half the population of the galaxy is just blinking out.
    That was one of my two big predictions for this movie, so I feel like a genius right now: the beeper was showing Captain Marvel's logo. I figured A) the movie would end with Thanos snapping his fingers (it did), and B) Captain Marvel would be activated somehow at the end, and she's going to come save the day in part two.

Like Drewbie, I saw Infinity War yesterday. The spoiler free review is: for the first 1/3 of the movie, I was less than satisfied, because everything felt like a series of disjointed Marvel Universe Short Films. The short films were all pretty good, but the overall impression was just okay. As things progressed, it got more and more apparent that they were knitting everything together, and by the last 1/3 it felt like a single cohesive storyline and I was fully invested in the outcome. Ultimately, despite 65 characters or whatever: nicely juggled, well done, I'm impressed!

And man, has Dave Bautista ever mastered the comedic timing on Drax. That dude is spectacular.

NOW THE SPOILER PART:

The opening scene with Thor and the Asgardians getting stomped was too much of a tonal shift from Ragnarok. I understand they can't start with comedy and smoothly transition to extreme peril; there's no time to weave all that together in an opening scene, when you've got so much fucking material to cover in the next 2.5 hours. But I couldn't help feeling jarred by the sudden change from the lighthearted, action-fun "Thor 3: Neon Dragon" all the way back to heavy Shakespearean melodrama. It got me started on a sour note, and the movie had a lot of work to do to bring me back into the fold.

Thor was the biggest problem with the closing act, too. We've seen his whole journey, but with respect to the Battle of Wakanda, he just shows up, slings his lightning around, huge wide-angle shots where we can barely see his face, then deus-ex-machina-axe-to-the-chest and BOOM we're done. Super abrupt. Again, I understand the time concerns, and there were already a million things going on. But I feel we needed to see more of "Stormbreaker" to understand how it was able to counteract the Infinity Gauntlet. It was implausible. I felt we needed at least one other good Thor "hero moment" (like, one where we see his face and he speaks at least a single line of dialogue) to solidify his presence on the battlefield, because otherwise he was just kind of floating around until his sudden blast into Thanos' sternum at the end of things. He was a plot device, no longer a character.

Best scene in the movie for me was the big fight on Titan, where they almost got the gauntlet off his hand. Amazing stuff from beginning to end. Thanos throwing a MOON at them was an incredible demonstration of his overwhelming power. Tony Stark managing to draw a "single drop of blood" was a perfect moment of badass heroism. Stark living through his impalement felt like a huge cop-out in the moment, but given what we know about his reckless tendency to sacrifice himself, and about Dr. Strange's 1-in-14-million shot and this being "the only way" and his desperation to keep Tony alive... I think it's pretty likely Iron Man bites it in the next movie.

I will definitely see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    The opening scene with Thor and the Asgardians getting stomped was too much of a tonal shift from Ragnarok. I understand they can't start with comedy and smoothly transition to extreme peril; there's no time to weave all that together in an opening scene, when you've got so much fucking material to cover in the next 2.5 hours. But I couldn't help feeling jarred by the sudden change from the lighthearted, action-fun "Thor 3: Neon Dragon" all the way back to heavy Shakespearean melodrama. It got me started on a sour note, and the movie had a lot of work to do to bring me back into the fold.
    I spotted a potential comedic bit they could have done if it wouldn't have been so inappropriate for the overall tone of the scene. In the big fight between Hulk and Thanos, Thanos should have picked up Hulk by the ankle and slammed him back and forth on the floor, and Thor should have yelled, "Yes! How do *you* like it, Hulk!"
    - Definitely