Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Marvel movies (BUT NOT DC YOU DICK)

A review I agree with (warning spoilers etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    A review I agree with (warning spoilers etc)
    I have to agree too. Overall I liked WandaVision because it really took a huge chance with its slow reveal style.

But:
    He's 100% right about the villains. Agatha had some potential but the pointless fireball fight was actually kind of boring. Also Wanda just sort of wins by, erm, magic. I mean it looks like Agatha is absorbing all of Wanda's power and then NOPE, Wanda wins! When you have a powerless villain the fight is dull. It's kind of like movies that have big climactic fight scenes where the bad guy is badly beating the good guy and then suddenly the bad guy forgets how to fight and the good guy wins.

Probably not a spoiler, but just in case: I would have liked this series to not really have a villain other than Wanda herself. I think it would have been so much more powerful to see Wanda slowly lose control of her fake world, getting glimpses of the harm she's doing to innocent people. She would then be forced to confront the selfishness of her actions and have to finally make the incredibly difficult choice to let go of Vision and her kids for the good of the townspeople.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    Probably not a spoiler, but just in case: I would have liked this series to not really have a villain other than Wanda herself. I think it would have been so much more powerful to see Wanda slowly lose control of her fake world, getting glimpses of the harm she's doing to innocent people. She would then be forced to confront the selfishness of her actions and have to finally make the incredibly difficult choice to let go of Vision and her kids for the good of the townspeople.
    That would have made a better ending for sure. The ending we got was lazy. And did Wanda leave the town in tact to trap the witch? Doesn't that continue to torture the other folk?Or did just the witch live trapped in tv land? Weird.

I think the witch is trapped in the normal, shitty NJ town while everyone else goes back to normal, minus thinking Agatha belongs there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I think the witch is trapped in the normal, shitty NJ town while everyone else goes back to normal, minus thinking Agatha belongs there now.
    Ok, but two things confuse me about that.
    1) The witch was trapped by the runes on the walls of the fantasy town.
    2) The sheriff at the beginning of the series said something like "There is no Westview." So from where did she steal the actors?
    Quote Originally Posted by from a website
    Westview — a town in New Jersey — doesn’t actually exist. When Monica Rambeau arrives to investigate and meets FBI agent Jimmy Woo (last seen keeping watch on Scott Lang in “Ant-Man”), a sheriff from Eastview explains to them that even though they can see the town down the road, there’s “no such place.”

My impression of that scene was that Wanda's spell erased Westview from people's memories, so nobody would come looking/intruding. Westview did exist, though.

Well, two episodes deep in TFATWS and it's better than I'd hoped, and they are not fucking around with these action sequences.

Spoilers I guess, but really it's just the concept which you've already heard about.

Can we discuss for a moment the absurdity of this "new" Captain America? He's billed as a really great soldier who "tested off the charts" for his abilities, but he's still just a well built normal human. How the fuck can he hope to keep up with super soldiers and worse? Steve Rogers actually had super human strength and healing abilities.

I get that lines are blurry because you have a scale of human to god in the Marvel universe, but even a well built human should get crushed by an enhanced super human.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    He's billed as a really great soldier who "tested off the charts" for his abilities, but he's still just a well built normal human. How the fuck can he hope to keep up with super soldiers and worse?
    It's fun that you're willing to buy into this fictional universe so thoroughly that you accept the government line with no hint of skepticism.

I would definitely not take it for granted that this dude is un-enhanced. There are clearly whole batches of super serum floating around (see also: Flagsmashers). Where'd they come from?

I'm not buying anything. I figured that was their lazy attempt to explain how this is supposed to make sense. I'm saying even if he were really strong it doesn't compare to somebody jacked up with super serum.