Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Swiitch

My kids are going to destroy the shit out of anything cardboard. Did they not test this with any kids?

Administrator
    my kids make everything out of cardboard. they are gonna love this! (and so am i!)

i also had immediate thoughts of "oooh, i can 3d print that!" and "oooh, i can make one of those out of wood!" while watching that video. so may kids my geek out on the cardboard bits, and i'll use it as an excuse to play around with the 3D printer and laser cutter a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    My kids are going to destroy the shit out of anything cardboard. Did they not test this with any kids?
    Yeah but like, so what? The bulk of the $70 price tag is for the LABO software/game. Nintendo will provide the patterns online for free, from what I understand... so if you drool too hard on one of your paper bits, just download the pattern and get crafty with a leftover Amazon box.

That's actually what's kind of ingenious about this: Sony and Microsoft spend (hundreds of?) millions to R&D virtual and augmented reality devices, Nintendo rolls with shit they found in the recycle bin. Cost to manufacture this stuff should be almost nil, and you can get a replacement by stealing some bum's "Please, Anything Helps, Family Needs Me To Survive The Winter" sign at a stop light.

I love that the Switch screen shows interactive assembly instructions.

EDIT: omg they're using the IR sensor as a camera, and the bugbot can see you and follow you around, jesus christ

I beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 last night. My review: it's really fucking good, if you like JRPGs. If you don't, it will be a 70+ hour slog with some cool cutscenes.

It's been a long time since I played a "modern" JRPG, after bashing through all the Final Fantasies and Breaths of Fire and Chrono Things I could get my hands on back in the SNES and PS1 days. I think the last one I played from start to finish (until now) was FFX.

The XC2 story was great, the voice actors (in English) were pretty great, the cutscenes were almost universally amazing (which is a good thing, because I bet there were 10 hours of cutscenes).

The only thing that lagged behind was the combat. It's super complex; in a ten-chapter game, I didn't really fully grasp it until chapter seven. And even then, while it was much more enjoyable, it's still pretty slow. Every enemy is a giant sponge, because if they went down in 1-2 hits, you wouldn't be able to experience all that glorious complexity. So even trash mobs 15 levels below you take a couple minutes to beat. Luckily, you can run past almost everything in the game, so you just skip combat when you're not in the mood.

I imagine nobody here is gonna play the game, so I won't worry about this spoiler too much: one of the coolest story beats is at the end, when you meet "The Architect." He tells you that when he created the world, things went pretty wrong, and nearly everything got sucked through a vortex to another Universe... including half his body. And now, he senses that his "other half" is nearing its end. So he encourages you to hurry along and beat the bad guy before he's unable to support you anymore.

After a big badass cutscene, the camera cuts back to the Architect's room, and a little shout emanates from the swirling vortex that's consumed half his body... "Today we're gonna kill a god! Wooo!" Then, the Architect mutters something to the effect of, "Okay, really gotta hurry now guys." I thought that was super neat. What's going on in the other Universe? Who's trying to kill this guy? What's his life been like over there?

Turns out, he was the villain of Xenoblade Chronicles 1, and the shout you hear is from that game's penultimate pre-final-boss Pep Talk:

Fun callback. Now I want to play XC1.

I played the last one and enjoyed it enough (although the level grind at the end was pretty boring) but I will be playing this one eventually. I stopped reading your post as soon as I saw "most of you won't play this so here is this spoiler"

Oh, well, totally give it a look then, I loved it. There wasn't really a level grind in this one. I only did a few sidequests, never went out fighting monsters just to level up, and I was still occasionally overleveled for stuff.

Nintendo Direct tomorrow. I'm just hoping they show some Fire Emblem. Game's supposed to come out this summer and I know nothing else about it.

I loved Path of Radiance (GC), Radiant Dawn (Wii), and Awakenings (3DS). Really looking forward to Morning Coffee (Switch).

Stretch goal: some footage of Metroid Prime 4, news on Virtual Console.

Likely to actually happen: 30 minutes of Kirby Star Allies.

Administrator
    new Animal Crossing and/or new WarioWare would be pretty great

EDIT: and/or new Smash Bros - there's not one for the switch yet, right?