Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Swiitch

Nintendo Swiitch

No, it's just "Switch," but I couldn't resist implying that they'd made a terrible decision with the name.

Let a bunch of twee hipsters demonstrate its form factor for you!

I like the hardware, as long as it packs a punch... I'm not sure how many graphics they can pack into that little portable bit, though, so something tells me it will remain well behind the PS4/XB1. That said, it doesn't appear there are any control gimmicks (touch screen, motion controls) so hopefully they won't lose all third party support immediately.

Need details on the hardware specs, Nintendooooo. Also, what are the gaaaaames. This trailer seemed to imply that it's all Wii U titles. I think I even saw freaking Skyrim. So either that's the worst launch title of all time, or the little SD card looking thing is, in fact, an SD card... and you can load it up with games from other sources. Which would be amazing. Especially if this thing comes with some serious Virtual Console action and NES/SNES/N64/GC emulation.

It looks like a great device (thank god I just bought an HP Stream 7 and iPega, which are basically this exact thing) but so easy to use, I actually love the switching aspect. But it's all going to come down to the specs. If it performs well enough that developers don't have an impossible task to support it, and if it has great battery life, then I have optimism.

Also, looks like it's launching with a Zelda game, possibly a new Mario game, and a Mario Kart game which is (at least) Mario Kart 8 plus some extra stuff.

Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart would be an awfully solid lineup.

The really big thing here is that, assuming they don't launch a 4DS or a Gameboy Twonk next month, it looks like they're done splitting their resources across two distinct platforms (console and mobile). This is a great thing, because it means shit like Pokemon in the living room. There's an assload of great games and franchises which have been pretty much exclusively mobile to this point. If they can draw the 3DS audience to the Switch and consolidate everything, then again, I feel much optimism.

The one downer I can see is that it's probably too big to fit in most pockets. So it's not nearly as portable and discreet as any of their previous mobile devices. (And again, worried about battery life.) So it might not be the perfect fit for the Pokemon crowd.

If they drive all their resources and audience to one platform, and then it has a fatal flaw like 30 minutes of battery life before it has to recharge... it's gonna be like Cortez burning his ships in the New World except there won't be any bananas to eat or brown people to kill.

yawp

1500x500.jpg

I think the thing on the left is a docking station for the pluggy controller bits. At first glance, I thought it was a retarded stubtroller or something.

Bah, screw the market, their skepticism means nothing to me and the four or five Nintendo Switches I plan to buy next March!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Buy the rumor, sell the news. Fuck. Should have sold a couple weeks back.

This is just a rumor, but:

Further, the Switch bundles will start out at $260 for a basic bundle, $300 for a Mario bundle, and $340 for a Zelda bundle that includes the Pro Controller.
    I'm all in on the Zelda bundle, baby. Price points seem unlikely to me.

Well, Reggie and Jimmy is an awkward combo, but here you go, your first public look at the Switch.

(And Super Mario Run)

I love that Jimmy's practically quaking with excitement.

Administrator

I never noticed The Roots had a tuba in the back.