Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Swiitch

Hmm, well, maybe with a dongle or some setting changes or something, but I wasn't able to pair my Wii U controller with a vanilla SYNC button press.

Thought I saw a YT video about it, I'll look and try to post it later. Thanks for giving it a whirl.

I got $20 in eshop credit and I've never purchased these things called 'indie' games before. Recommendations? Was looking at Bastion, Retro City Rampage, Dead Cells, Star Dew Valley and Celeste. Leaning towards something more action or rpg rather than just platform puzzle solver, so favoring Bastion or Retro City Rampage (never played any of the grand theft auto games.)

I highly recommend Bastion and Dead Cells. I think I'd go with Bastion if I had to choose just one.

Undertale, INSIDE or Shovel Knight might fit the bill, too.

We'll probably never get another F-Zero game. Makes me (and many others) sad, because F-Zero and F-Zero GX are probably my favorite racing games of all time. I'm not into realistic games (Need For Speed, Forza, Gran Turismo, etc.) and Mario Kart is tons of fun but doesn't really scratch the "holy shit this is too fast for my brain" itch.

I've always heard that the F-Zero series sold like a miserable pile of shit, but I've never really seen numbers. I decided to do some quick research:

F-Zero 1990 SNES 2.85 million
    F-Zero X 1998 N64 1.10 million
    F-Zero: Maximum Velocity 2001 GBA 1.05 million
    F-Zero GX 2003 Gamecube 0.65 million
    F-Zero Climax 2004 GBA ???
    Can't find numbers for "Climax," because it sold 5,049 copies in its first week, then dropped off the charts. Okay, yeah. I think I see it now.

The sequel flow chart seems to be:

Code:
     Did it sell well?
            |
      Yes ----- No
       |        | 
    Sequel     Can we think of something
               interesting to do with
               the series, to spur more
               sales with the next game?
                          |
                    Yes ----- No
                     |        | 
                  Sequel    Fuck off
    And I completely understand that. The series has always been about pushing technology to do more, and nowadays tech is good enough that F-Zero just isn't an interesting problem to solve anymore. Sadly, the F-Zero-alikes that have been released in an attempt to fill the void for people like me, who just love the game as it is, haven't really been satisfying. Fast RMX, Redout, and Thumper are all games I've tried, and they're good in their own way, but none of them work as an F-Zero clone despite the obvious influence. I should definitely take a look at Antigraviator and Trailblazers before I give up entirely, though.

Man I loved F-Zero GX but I think I only ever played it with my brother so I guess, having not bought it myself, I'm part of the dismal sales numbers. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
    I got $20 in eshop credit and I've never purchased these things called 'indie' games before. Recommendations? Was looking at Bastion, Retro City Rampage, Dead Cells, Star Dew Valley and Celeste. Leaning towards something more action or rpg rather than just platform puzzle solver, so favoring Bastion or Retro City Rampage (never played any of the grand theft auto games.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    • Bastion
    • Dead Cells
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    • Undertale
    • INSIDE
    • Shovel Knight
    I'm also gonna check out Yoku's Island Express, which people keep describing as a "Pinballvania." And I still haven't tried Blossom Tales.

Really though, dude, there's a huge pile of great indie games out there, most of them are on Switch now, and the only one I wouldn't recommend at least taking a look at is Owlboy. And even Owlboy is at least visually pleasing.

Oh man. TL;DW: they're not happy with the state of MP4, so they're essentially rebooting the whole development process and going back to Retro Studios (who developed the other MP games) with it. I don't know if it was an internal project, or if they were working with some other studio, but wow. I guess it's nice to know what the status is, rather than having it stay radio silent for another 2 years.

Wow shoot man, Nintendo had a Direct today and showed a ton of cool stuff

• Fire Emblem: Three Houses: FINALLY SOME MORE HOT DAWGIN FIRE EMBLEM DATA FOR MY DATAHOLES
    • Super Mario Maker 2: This is excellent news, one of the games that died an unfortunate death by being released on Wii U, but deserved so much more.
    • Link's Awakening: You kidding? This is awesome and unexpected, the most highly-regarded Zelda game I've never played, in what looks like an upgraded Link Between Worlds engine? oh my god
    • Final Fantasy IX: One of my favorite FFs, but no game footage in the trailer... hoping it's remastered, but dunno.
    • ...oodles of other stuff I don't care about so much.

EDIT: lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Macheath; 02-13-2019 at 04:08 PM.