Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Swiitch

It's hard not to be happy when Miyamoto's being Miyamoto (and not in Marketing Mode as he usually is in a press conference)...

This Nintendo Switch announcement stream is puuuuure dynamite

Man this looks pretty.

EDIT: Other games confirmed are...

Plus a bunch of Dragon Quest games, Skyrim and Sonic, a new Suda 51 game of some sort, other assorted things maybe. It is games.
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-12-2017 at 10:46 PM.

That Zelda game . . . <3

Yup, between that and the Mario Odyssey trailer, I just... don't know how they keep doing it, honestly. Those two franchises have had a few lulls, but mostly it's one excellent title after the next. And these two look to be on the order of the Gamecube's Wind Waker/Mario Sunshine era in terms of awesomeness. I can forgive a lazy "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" if it comes alongside this kind of treasure (and some third party games plz).

EDIT: You can almost tell which consoles were going to be good solely based on the creativity of their respective Mario/Zelda titles.

• SNES - Link to the Past, Mario World (some of the best 16-bit titles ever created)
    • N64 - Ocarina of Time, Mario 64 (revolutionary)
    • Gamecube - Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine (great, loved universally now but underappreciated in their time)
    • Wii - Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy (shiny but people have mixed opinions)
    • Wii U - No Zelda at all, Mario 3D World (uhhhhh)

14 of the top 15 links on /r/Games right now are Switch-related. It's dominating the conversation today, as you'd imagine. And mostly... people seem pretty negative. Which I suppose I understand. It's an underpowered console with expensive peripherals, they're charging for their online services for the first time (joining Sony and Microsoft in doing so), there are only two confirmed launch titles, and the best game of the bunch (BOTW) is releasing on Wii U in parallel. If you already own a Wii U and you're only marginally interested in the Switch, there's not much reason to buy in yet.

Once a year has passed, and all the games they showed last night (plus a bunch more) have been released... if third parties are still supporting, and the mobile dream has come true (looping in the Pokemon audience)... then maybe it will be in good shape. But for now, hard to say.

If they could have popped Mario Odyssey out in time for launch, and delayed Pokemon Sun/Moon to make them Switch launch titles, then they'd be cooking with gas. Can you even imagine? Mario/Zelda/Pokemon on launch day, showing off the full intended power of the console as a home/mobile hybrid?

Ohhhh well.

Man, this thing is tiny. Definitely will work as a mobile console. If it's even Wii U level as far as graphical horsepower when attached to a dock and an HDTV, I'll be perfectly happy. The only question then is battery life. What they've quoted is "2.5 to 6 hours," I think. Not 3DS level longevity.

Many places on the internet are (as the internet is) very negative right now. I subscribe to a couple channels on YouTube that are relentlessly anti-Nintendo in general, and yeah, they've just been shitting all over the Switch (e.g. Jimquisition). But it's easy to be negative. There's a lot to be positive about too, and luckily I also subscribe to a couple channels that are unabashedly Nintendo fanboys. I knew Arlo would save me from all the mean people:

The puppet has some good points. Also, I saw some footage in there of what looked like F-Zero, but turns out it's a port of Redout. Holy shit though, I'm disappointed not to have more F-Zero, but this looks like an acceptable alternative to me.

Also, there's a rumor about a "Pokemon Stars" game (get it? Sun/Moon/Stars) that will come out for Switch later this year, like around the time Mario Odyssey does. That would sure help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017, trailer is fuckin fabbo)
    And then there's this:

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Jeez