Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I read next? - the other suggestion thread!

I finished the first season of The Magicians. I want to read the books now. The TV series has it's moments, but hopefully the books are better.

Just as a warning, Quentin is one emo motherfucker. If you can handle that, the books are well worth a read.

He gets better as the books go along. He has an arc. But yeah, all the characters will probably get under your skin at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    He gets better as the books go along. He has an arc. But yeah, all the characters will probably get under your skin at one point or another.
    Not Josh!! Wait, was he even in the show?

Whatever you do, don't read Misspent Youth by Peter F Hamilton. It's a load of crap. I've "read" pretty much all of his books and enjoyed all of them. This book is a complete waste of time. 5 second summary: Old guy gets rejuvinated to around 20 years old, steals son's hot girlfriend, the end. NOTHING ELSE INTERESTING HAPPENS. There's a tiny bit of back story in here for the Commonwealth universe (home to Two other Trilogies and a Duo-logy), but not enough to make it worthwhile even if you loved those other books (which I did). There is A LOT of sex in this book, so if that's your thing then go for it. There's a fair measure of graphic sex in most of his books, but this one feels like he cut out ALL the story of a normal book leaving just the sex.

This sums it up pretty well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Kirkus Reviews described the novel as "Flowers for Algernon, centering on sex instead of brains."

Wow, that's... real weird.

I always wished Timothy Zahn's books were part of the official cannon, but anyway his new book looks interesting.