Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump and his Trumpalites

That sucks about RBG, a lot. I don't know if I can handle the idea of a third Trump appointee in the first half of his doomed term.

This is funny... subtle, but it looks like they edited the video so Acosta basically karate chops one of Trump's attractive young female interns:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...tack-on-acosta

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Would it even matter though? Conservatives already have a solid majority in the court no matter what
    I think it absolutely matters. The SCOTUS members don't operate in a vacuum, any group with too many people on one side will push themselves further to that side, she can at least moderate the group.

This is so good.

I have a coworker I respect who is a Trump backer. He can be reasoned with and we can have intelligent conversations, but neither of us have a hope of changing each other's minds. Still, it doesn't ever devolve to name-calling and some of his arguments are difficult to swat away.

This morning, he sent me a link to a Tucker Carlson monologue. It is 15 minutes long, but they posted the transcript along with the video so I could read instead of listening to and seeing that twat-waffle. I was surprised to see that probably 75% of what he had to say made sense to me. He threw in bits here and there about studies I would love to see cause I don't know that they're real, but he did have some good points.

Figured it'd be interesting to see what some of you thought as well. You can watch/read it here.

There's nothing inherently crazy about conservative ideas. Politics has become about personalities. I can't talk to Republicans, because they defend Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell. I can't vote Republican, not because I think conservative ideology is wrong, but because I have zero faith in Republican politicians executing on any plan. I'm centrist at heart, but Republicans have driven me all the way over to the left just to get away from their Christian terrorism.

What he said ^^^, plus a large percentage of things government does are completely non-partisan or we probably agree about it. The crazies that have taken over government have made it all about single issues and hold their party hostage for stupid shit by controlling those single issues. We might disagree about abortion, guns, or immigration, but those are a tiny fraction of what actually matters in our day to day existence. Nobody gets nearly as riled up about education or infrastructure, but those effect you every single day. So the politicians & talking heads have to warn us about migrant caravans and baby murder to keep their ratings up and turn out voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    There's nothing inherently crazy about conservative ideas. Politics has become about personalities. I can't talk to Republicans, because they defend Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell. I can't vote Republican, not because I think conservative ideology is wrong, but because I have zero faith in Republican politicians executing on any plan. I'm centrist at heart, but Republicans have driven me all the way over to the left just to get away from their Christian terrorism.
    I think it's important to realize that "Conservative" and "Republican" are two different things. The Republicans abandoned real conservative ideals a long time ago. Now they're about accumulating and maintaining power for its own sake. True conservatives wouldn't want to waste money on a border wall. True conservatives wouldn't back protectionist trade policies. True conservatives wouldn't support voter suppression.

I was a pretty ardent conservative myself until I started seeing the authoritarian direction the Republicans were taking it shortly after 9/11. They haven't strayed from that path since, and now they are the Trump party.
    - Definitely

My god, he's embarrassing.