Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: President Trump and his Trumpalites

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ama-for-uproar

Man has his minion separate families at the border as a policy
    Man finally stops practice after pressure mounts
    People speculate whether he'll do it again
    Man says that he heroically stepped in to prevent it from happening again
    Man blames predecessor for doing terrible thing which he did

I almost put this in the "Things which provoke anger" thread.

It's bad enough to systematically separate children from their parents in the name of "security." Words fail me in describing what it is to not even own that and to try and blame it on your predecessor.
    - Definitely

Trump Obstructed Justice

Special counsel Robert Mueller found ample evidence to convict President Donald Trump of obstruction of justice. His investigation uncovered multiple attempts by the president to hamper his investigation into potential misconduct by Trump and his associates. This evidence is incredibly damning and would seem to clearly meet the requirements for an obstruction charge. As he wrote in his report, Mueller only declined to indict the president because the Office of Legal Counsel, which provides legal advice to the executive branch, claimed that he could not. Instead, Mueller made the case for obstruction in his meticulous report, providing a road map to Congress, which he expects to consider impeachment proceedings. There appears to be more than enough proof of criminality for the House of Representatives to draw up articles of impeachment.

All of this is obvious from the first few pages of Volume II of Mueller’s report, which details his obstruction investigation. All of it must have been obvious to Attorney General William Barr when he attempted to cover up the report’s actual findings in his four-page summary released in March and in his Thursday press conference. All of it should be obvious to a majority of the House of Representatives once they read the report. There is no reason for the House to take impeachment off the table. Mueller’s report is as bad as the president and his allies feared.
    (Emphasis mine.)

So in other words, if Mueller could have indicted Trump (legally speaking), he would have?

Quote Originally Posted by Mueller
    "Because we determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment, we did not draw ultimate conclusions about the President’s conduct. The evidence we obtained about the President’s actions and intent presents difficult issues that would need to be resolved if we were making a traditional prosecutorial judgment. At the same time, if we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment. Accordingly while this report does not conclude that the president committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."
    Because we're not making a judgment, we can't say He Done Did It. But that said, if we thought He Done Didn't Do It, we'd say so. And we're definitely not saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mueller
    "The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the President’s corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law."
    Holy crap, that sure sounds like: "Hey Congress, Trump is corrupt and it's your responsibility to do something about it."

My favorite argument so far is ... Bill Clinton got impeached for lying about a blowjob.

"Kellyanne Conway died many years ago, and is now a skinsuit occupied and operated by 300 rats who've evolved the ability to lie."

Wow, John Oliver has a hell of a writing staff.

How Bad Does It Have To Get?

Heck of a list. Probably not even complete.

Colbert's Mnuchin impression slays me.

(The Mnuchin bits start around 6:20 and get lava hot at 8:25)

Here is a quick summary (considerably paraphrased) of Mueller's testimony before Congress:

We did not exonerate President Trump. If our investigation supported exoneration, we would have said so. To the contrary, we found and set forth in our report more than ten actions by Trump that could constitute criminal obstruction of justice.

Despite that evidence, we were prevented from making a determination of the president’s guilt because we were bound by the Justice Department policy that "a president cannot be charged with a federal crime while he is in office." Charging the president with a crime was not an option we could consider.

But the Constitution provides impeachment as an alternative to criminally charging the president for wrongdoing, a process recognized by that same DOJ policy. As long as the DOJ policy is in effect, impeachment is the only way to hold a sitting president accountable. Impeachment is a solemn responsibility solely in the hands of Congress.

For that reason, I have summarized the evidence my office gathered during our tenure. The evidence is presented in the 2 volumes of my final report for Congress’ use for impeachment (or for use by a federal prosecutor after the president is out of office). In addition to my report, Congress and future prosecutors should have access to the unredacted report & all the underlying materials.
    And here are fun quotes from some of that Mueller report evidence, for you to put on a t-shirt!