Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Theater

The cycle has repeated, and it's thinking-about-living room time again...

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I also bought black-out curtains and a grey screen
    What does a grey screen buy you?

I don't regret going with the projector now that all the work of cabling it and hanging it is done.
    I'm not planning on anything fancy, the projector's gonna go on a shelf next to all the components it's hooked into. No "media closet" like some people have.

When this one goes out, I'll have to weigh the cost of a new projector against a new LCD and decide, but it's still been nice.
    Hard to pass up on the nice (and relatively cheap) flatscreens available, but they require lots and lots of cables. A projector setup is so nice in the way the screen itself can just be all alone, and any cabling mess can be hidden behind you.
    Last edited by Macheath; 06-12-2017 at 08:39 AM.

The grey screen helps you with contrast in a room that you can't make absolutely dark. Despite my curtains and everything else, the room does get light in and it's been very helpful in keeping the contrast up. My second projector has a far higher lumen count as well, and since I don't use it as much as I used to since getting a big LCD in my living room, I trade bulb life for way higher brightness and things look very good.

keep in mind that projectors suck if you can't control the light. If you watch "darker" programs, as I suspect you do, the need to control light will be that much greater. I LOVE mine so don't get me wrong but its easy to cut out light when your underground.

I'm at 95" now. Not going down in size.

You have a 95 inch TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    You have a 95 inch TV?
    They're only $7,300, but hurry only 13 left in stock! Oh, sorry, that's only the 90" model.

Here's a 98" model, Drew's 95 must be an older model.

Quote Originally Posted by Equoria View Post
    keep in mind that projectors suck if you can't control the light.
    Yeah, that's a big worry. I don't have an underground cave to project in. Everything's fine at night, and that covers 80+ percent of my use cases, but during the odd weekend where I sit around playing Nintendo games, it doesn't matter how bright the brights are if all the darks are "light sidewalk gray."

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    You have a 95 inch TV?
    My screen is 95 inches. If I replaced it with an LCD, I'd love to stick with that size. Keep in mind, it's in a 20' x 30' room.

My screen is 95 inches. If I replaced it with an LCD, I'd love to stick with that size. Keep in mind, it's in a 20' x 30' room.
    Okay, well, one of those dimensions (room width) doesn't really matter, and the other (room depth) only matters if your screen's on one wall and your eyeballs are on the other wall. What's your actual viewing distance?

A 95 inch LCD should only run you between $8k and $20k.