Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home Theater

That looks nice, and beautifully huge!

I felt it was implied that there would be a picture of Rachel Weisz's cleavage. I am disappointed.

My basement could house a projector. I've never bothered to get one. Our recycling pile at work has one currently sitting there awaiting death. Epson PowerLite 400W A new bulb can be found for $20. It only has S-video or VGA inputs. So I could power it from a PC to watch whatever, but I'm debating if it's worth messing with.

You could try it, see if you like it. Looks like it does 720p. The inputs are pretty limiting, but for the price of free it's worth at least checking out for a trial run.

I have a similar model sitting in a case here at work that doesn't get used. I've borrowed it before and set it up in my yard to play NES on a 24 foot tarp on the side of my shed. It's pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I have a similar model sitting in a case here at work that doesn't get used. I've borrowed it before and set it up in my yard to play NES on a 24 foot tarp on the side of my shed. It's pretty awesome.
    That's kinda what I'm hoping to do with it! I'm hoping a bed sheet tacked up in my basement will make a serviceable screen.

Well, the projector I got for free from a friend (in July 2017) has served me pretty well for almost two years, but... I'm enjoying it enough that it's starting to feel like time to upgrade.

Going from 720p and "free" to 1080p and "not free" makes picking an appropriate price point a little harder, but I think I'm willing to spend somewhere in the $600 range.

Here are a few candidates. Mine is the Epson EX7210, first manufactured in <checks calendar, facepalms> 2011. Uh, so yeah, probably a safe time to start thinking upgrade.

The BenQ HT2050A keeps coming up on other lists, like this Wirecutter guide, but it's the only projector on my comparison table that's less bright than my current one. I don't have a dark room, so I don't feel like I can afford to go any dimmer. Everything's fine at night, but it's tough to watch anything before sundown. So I probably have to prioritize lumens here. But I wouldn't mind finding a quieter projector either.