Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home Improvement

Holy crap, I need a basement. My jaw dropped around the 25 second mark. "Okay, nice... wait, what? Wait, WHAT?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdTV4fWVN0

EDIT: spoiler in thumbnail

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Holy crap, I need a basement.
    I want to have too much money.
    - Definitely

The list of things I want to do to my condo in the next couple years (?) is getting long:

• Replace carpet with hard "wood" (laminate or LVT) flooring
    • Remodel two small bathrooms
    • Replace all electrical outlets and light/fan fixtures (or at least get them inspected)
    • Replace the whole HVAC system (and probably ducts)
    • Replace every single door in the whole place, both internal and external
    • Repaint? Maybe?
    Alright, so I did all the floors in 2019. The carpet bugged me more than anything else (with the bathrooms in a very close second). Got some gray "hardwood" rigid-core planking installed. I love how it looks, I love how it feels underfoot, I love that it's waterproof and damn near dentproof. My only regret is that the planks are very rigid, which means they don't conform to the underlying concrete pad, resulting in more hollow spaces underneath. You can hear the flooring settle/slap against the pad as you walk around. But eh, nobody expected it to be perfect.

The kitchen was replaced at the same time as everything else (except bathrooms), so there's a very nice, unified look to my whole condo now. It really looks great.

But then there's those bathrooms. I left the bathroom floors undone, because A) they're gonna get all torn up some time soon anyway, and B) dunno if I want that same uninterrupted hardwood look in the bathrooms. I think I'd prefer a more tile or stone look.

Quote Originally Posted by sheil View Post
    Bathrooms - This could be just about anything. Totally depends on what you are looking to have done. Are you looking to just put new stuff in without changing the layouts, or are you thinking of moving stuff around? Lots of stuff would need to be looked at for these. Obviously these would far and away be the most expensive changes.
    Yeah, I'm aware this'll be the most expensive bit, and I'm not looking forward to it. I don't have any burning desire to change the layout, I just want to refresh everything. The sink and vanity have always sucked, the tub's starting to show a lot of wear, I hate the shower door, etc.
    Here we go boys. The big daddy. I'll probably end up doing bathrooms in 2020. The floors cost around $10k, can't wait to find out the bathrooms are 3x as much.

HVAC (circa 1998) still plugging along. I vow not to replace it until something breaks. Probably will happen the week I cut a check for the bathrooms.