Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Netflix originals

Administrator
    I just finished Bly Manor last night. My wife, of course, always walks into the room right as somebody is being choked to death and then complains "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS WATCH THIS STUFF RIGHT BEFORE BED!!". I never watched the Hill House series, so i'm starting that next.

Ratched was awesome, everything about it. the mood and set design were fucking phenomenal. It's essentially a prequel to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

the Scandinavian show Ragnarok was also really good

I'm trying to grind my way through Bly Manor, but man, the more you learn about these ghosts, the less interesting they are.

I loved the story of Viola, in episode 8. It was a good, old-fashioned, self-contained ghost story.

Uncle Henry and his alter-ego sadness demon? was a decent yarn too.

A lot of the rest of the series drags on, though. I didn't need four hours worth of material on Peter & Ms. Jessel, Owen & Ms. Grose, all popping back and forth in time between dreams and reality, because that's how ghosts do. I get it, they're all dead and everyone's sad about things. Just a little of that would have been fine, but they repeated what felt like the same plot revelations two or three times. By the end of the series, I didn't feel like I knew these characters so much as I'd been bludgeoned with them.

And at the end of things, the framing device of Carla Gugino and a crowd of randos was awkward. One scene at the beginning and one scene at the end, just to drive home the cumbersome point that this was a love story, not a ghost story. I got that from the 9 hours between those two scenes, thanks... if you want a narrator, just have a narrator. Yeesh.