Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix originals

Netflix originals

Well, I'm pretty sure we've reached the point where Netflix is producing so much stuff that I need a thread to remember which shows I want to watch. Look at this freaking list. Here's just the stuff I recognize at a glance:

• House of Cards: haven't seen the new season yet
    • Orange is the New Black: stopped watching after 2-3 seasons
    • Stranger Things: liked it, looking forward to season 2, like everyone else
    • Hemlock Grove: somebody told me not to bother
    • Marco Polo: gave up after 1 episode
    • Sense8: didn't even make it through 1 episode
    • Narcos: really want to check this one out
    • The Crown: already saw Downton Abbey, got bored during episode 1
    • A Series of Unfortunate Events: forgot this existed until I made this thread
    • Marvel's Daredevil: I liked parts of season 1 and the Punishery parts of season 2
    • Marvel's Jessica Jones: decent, Jessica has a real nice butt
    • Marvel's Luke Cage: didn't care for it
    • Marvel's Iron Fist: didn't watch it
    • Marvel's Defenders: I'm lukewarm about this
    • Master of None: Gnorlin says it's good
    • BoJack Horseman: saw a couple episodes, liked it, should continue
    • Voltron: Legendary Defender: got bored after a few episodes, Avatar for even younger kids
    • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: liked it

And then there's this, which has Warren Ellis' name on it, and he's one of my favorite comic book writers, so I'm in:

Thanks for starting this. I'm in the same boat. Far too much to keep track of these days.

Here's my notes on your list, plus a couple of additions.

• House of Cards: haven't seen the new season (looking forward to it)
    • Orange is the New Black: haven't seen the new season (looking forward to it)
    • Stranger Things: liked it, looking forward to season 2, like everyone else
    • Hemlock Grove: haven't heard anything about it
    • Marco Polo: haven't started
    • Sense8: haven't started
    • Narcos: looks good
    • The Crown: haven't heard about it. Is it just a Downton Abbey clone?
    • A Series of Unfortunate Events: Seen this. It's pretty good as far as dry humor based on children's novels go. NPH is a great Count Olaf.
    • Marvel's Daredevil: I liked parts of season 1 and the Punishery parts of season 2 - Me too
    • Marvel's Jessica Jones: decent, Jessica has a real nice butt - Yes
    • Marvel's Luke Cage: I stuck through it. It's different, and VERY slow paced. I think I only made it because I have a bad habit of scrolling reddit on my phone during the slow parts. I think it really only FEELS slow as a side effect of the movies cramming too much into 2+ hours, and it's a shame. I'd rather see something like Civil War be a 6- to 10-episode series than feel like Luke Cage has pacing issues.
    • Marvel's Iron Fist: Haven't seen it, and the reviews have me hesitating
    • Marvel's Defenders: I'm lukewarm about this - same
    • Master of None: Gnorlin says it's good - so I've heard
    • BoJack Horseman: Watched all of it. Enjoyed it. I should rewatch it. There's a lot in there that I know I missed.
    • Voltron: Legendary Defender: Is this a cartoon reboot of Voltron? My childhood assumes this is awesome. Too bad it sounds like it's not?
    • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency: haven't seen
    • Handmaid's Tale: haven't seen, but seems popular EDIT: is hulu
    • GLOW: chick wrestling that is getting a lot of good reviews
    Last edited by liuv; 07-12-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Isn't Handmaid's Tale on Hulu?

Yes it's on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    • Hemlock Grove: haven't heard anything about it
    werewolves

• The Crown: haven't heard about it. Is it just a Downton Abbey clone?
    It's about young Queen Elizabeth. It just felt a lot like Downton Abbey to me, from the first couple episodes, with less of the "upstairs downstairs" vibe and more of just an "upstairs" thing.

• A Series of Unfortunate Events: Seen this. It's pretty good as far as dry humor based on children's novels go. NPH is a great Count Olaf.
    Shit, forgot NPH was in this.

• Voltron: Legendary Defender: Is this a cartoon reboot of Voltron? My childhood assumes this is awesome. Too bad it sounds like it's not?
    Meh. If you like Avatar (and I love Avatar) and you like Voltron, then you might like this. I felt it skewed too young for me. Korra was a more mature show, Avatar might even have been a more mature show.

I've been trying to watch The Defenders lately. I couldn't watch Jessica Jones because it was too dark even for me, I couldn't watch Luke Cage because every episode put me to sleep. I loved Daredevil. So I decided to give it a try. I'm 3 episode in and there's already been an epic group battle.

This show has promise.
    - Definitely

I'd say it gets better. I just finished the season and I wish it wasn't over. Of course the story is not over! How the hell did Matt get out of the hole?

I just finished the first season of Travelers.

It's a sci-fi action/thriller series. The premise is that at some point in the future they develop the ability to send peoples' concsciousnesses back in time into the brains of those living at the time. The "overwrite" (as it's called) kills the host, so they only do it at the recorded time of death of the person being overwritten. For example the main character originally fell down an elevator shaft but instead he got overwritten a few seconds before and avoided the fall. Now the consciousness of a "Traveler" from the future inhabits the body of that guy. There's a "Controller" in charge of everything in the future sending teams of travelers back in time to perform missions to accomplish some as yet unspecified end.

They have good character development and interesting exploration of the implications of their premise. There's even an interesting plot twist in the final episode of the season.

I recommend it.
    - Definitely

Where the heck did I hear about that before? I thought it sounded neat, then forgot all about it. Oh well, I'll check it out for sure now... if I remember.

I've also watched it and recommend it. It's sort of "time-travel" even though it's a one way ticket. Cool concept, I hope to see more.