Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyboards

Keyboards

Liuv needs a new keyboard!

You can go very far down the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole. It's a hobbyist thing nowadays, people collect them, chasing the rainbow, trying to find the perfect shit. And they get pretty expensive.

You have a Das Keyboard, from what I understand, which is probably loud as hell. Or at least, pretty loud. Cherry MX red/blue? I have one of those, but it's in the closet now.

I got over my loud-clicky phase. I still like snappy mechanical recoil, but I'm done with loudness. I have two keyboards right now that I really like. I'll link the TKL (ten-keyless) versions, because I'm starting to get used to TKL and I think I like it, but if you're not ready to make that leap, there are 104-key versions too.

First, the CODE keyboard. It's beautiful, the white LEDs look really good, and you can get a variety of different Cherry switches -- but Cherry MX Clears are nice and quiet, and I like this keyboard very much:

CODE Keyboard TKL (87-key)
    CODE Keyboard (full 104-key)

Next, the Topre Realforce. This is imported from Japan, and uses a proprietary electro-capacitive "rubber membrane" type switch. It's not as tactile as a Cherry switch, but still pretty clicky under my fingers, with nice resistance. And the keyboards are unbelievably high quality. The keys come in a couple different weights (35g, 45g, 55g). I have the heaviest (55g) and honestly I wish I'd gone lighter, but it's not too much to get used to.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention the whole reason to go with Topre: the motherfucker is SILENT.

Topre Realforce TKL (black, 87-key)
    Topre Realforce TKL (white, 87-key)

Topre Realforce (black, full 104-key)
    Topre Realforce (white, full 104-key)

Speaking of electro-capacitive switches, a coworker has a Plum keyboard in his office, and for the price (they're much cheaper than Topre Realforce) I have to say it feels really nice. If you want to try electro-capacitive without jumping in with both feet, Plum gives a nice experience. Topre has a less-expensive line of "Type Heaven" keyboards, too, but I haven't tried one so I can't speak for them.

One thing I'd warn you about is the black Topre Realforce, which is what I bought. The key lettering is printed with dark-gray-on-black, which is... nearly impossible to see. Might as well just have a blank Das Keyboard.
    Last edited by Macheath; 03-26-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: forgot the realforce tkl links

I'm sure a proper keyboard enthusiast would frown at the specs on this keyboard (It doesn't even have Cherry switches.) but I got it on sale and I love it:

HAVIT RGB Backlit Wired Gaming Keyboard

oh looks like it's currently unavailable.

I liked that one so much I got a new keyboard for work (for basically free because it came from our incentive program). It's loud as shit and probably needs O rings. I don't love it, but for the price it's good enough:

OMEN by HP Wired USB Gaming Keyboard 1100 (Black/Red)

Man, this is a nice table of info:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I'm sure a proper keyboard enthusiast would frown at the specs on this keyboard (It doesn't even have Cherry switches.) but I got it on sale and I love it:
    It has Kailh switches, which are a perfectly acceptable Cherry alternative.

I've been linking to MechanicalKeyboards.com so far, but EliteKeyboards.com has a nice site too.

I'm pretty sure what I got is the Razer Black Widow Stealth, which as you're all aware, is loud as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I'm pretty sure what I got is the Razer Black Widow Stealth, which as you're all aware, is loud as fuck.
    Yeah, "Stealth" my fucking ass.

Multi-Award Winning Razer™ Mechanical Switches
    Okay, hmm. Sounds like they're supposed to be very similar to Cherry/Kailh. I don't know if it's just that, or also the fact that your microphone is installed between the "G" and "H" keys, but holy shit it's earth-shattering on Discord.

I'll have to take a picture of my current set-up. I moved my mic so it comes out right between my new monitor stand. The upside is it's directly in front of my face all the time, but the downside is it's also directly above my keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I'll have to take a picture of my current set-up. I moved my mic so it comes out right between my new monitor stand. The upside is it's directly in front of my face all the time, but the downside is it's also directly above my keyboard.
    My mic is literally 6 inches from my keyboard, but the Topre is so quiet omg!

(This picture is from pre-Topre days, that's the CODE keyboard on my desk.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe I just need an arm like yours so I can get it in and out of the way easier. The kids are always grabbing at it and singing Meghan Trainor.