Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyboards

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Next, the Topre Realforce. This is imported from Japan, and uses a proprietary electro-capacitive "rubber membrane" type switch. It's not as tactile as a Cherry switch, but still pretty clicky under my fingers, with nice resistance. And the keyboards are unbelievably high quality. The keys come in a couple different weights (35g, 45g, 55g). I have the heaviest (55g) and honestly I wish I'd gone lighter, but it's not too much to get used to.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention the whole reason to go with Topre: the motherfucker is SILENT.

Topre Realforce TKL (black, 87-key)
    Topre Realforce TKL (white, 87-key)

Topre Realforce (black, full 104-key)
    Topre Realforce (white, full 104-key)
    I got my Topre 87u on Massdrop, and they've got a sale going for the Topre 104u right now. $220 as opposed to Amazon's $236.

Here's my set-up. My favorite part is my carved marlin headphone stand.

Microsoft 4000 ergonomic. I just got my 3rd one last month, but that isn't a bad thing considering it's my 3rd in about... 8... 10 years? Eventually the letters and surface of the keycaps wear down where I use them for movement and on the last one the wrist "pads" were worn too. A lot of miles.

It's cheapish(~40$ on amazon), not super loud, and it has a shortcut button for the calculator(woot!). This last time 'round I considered getting a backlit/etc thing, but the palm section wasn't padded and I was concerned about the key press being different, etc, whereas I know the 4000 and am used to it and it feels good for gaming as well as general typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Threnn View Post
    Microsoft 4000 ergonomic.
    I've never been able to get onboard with ergonomic keyboards. Maybe my wrists are weird. But I'm closing in on 40, typing for a living, and no trace of carpal tunnel yet.

This is awesome. Not sure what I'll go with yet. I have the Das Keyboard with blank keys and that has Cherry Blue switches I'm pretty sure. I could try to replace the switches, but from what I've seen it looks like a PITA.

I really need to decide what switches I want. The resistance and tactile feedback of the blues is perfect for me, but I do wish they were a bit quieter.

Aside from the switch decision, I don't like all the fucking lights on everything these days. I don't need or want lights and for some reason I feel like the $140 keyboard with lights would be $60 without the ~~--==GAM3R XTR3M3 HAXXOR TYPI|\|G LIT3==--~~

Someone do mice now. My Logitech G500 just started double-clicking. This is a known issue with the G500s as they age. This is actually my third one. The first was warranty replaced, then the second was "courtesy" replaced since it started double-clicking in only six months. This one lasted a couple years, but now it's fucked. I could get another one, but I'm guessing there's something better out there theses days. However, everything newer looks more spaceshippy and has bullshit lights. Look at the G502 for fuck sake. I don't want a mouse that requires a LED Color Management console.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Someone do mice now.
    I did some mouse shopping a couple years ago, with the following criteria:

• Two buttons (plus a wheel), or as close to two buttons as I could get. I don't want a shitload of shit on my mouse.
    • No LEDs, or as few LEDs as I could get.
    • Not cordless. Screw cordless.
    • Similar in form factor to the old Microsoft Optical Mouse. Rounded, not full of corners and flanges. I want a mouse, not a stealth bomber.

First of all, it turns out you can still find those old Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse units, but they're pricy these days.

After some research, I settled on either the Zowie FK2 ($60) or the SteelSeries Sensei ($40). I went with the cheaper one. I linked the exact Sensei I bought, the "RAW - Rubberized Black" version, and I like it a lot. It does have extra buttons, but they're mostly out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    I don't want a mouse that requires a LED Color Management console.
    The Sensei does also have LEDs on it, but they're controlled with software. I installed a little driver app, which is completely unobtrusive, and cranked the brightness down to "disable the illumination please" and it's fine.

It looks sexy next to the CODE Keyboard I mentioned in the very first post. This is with the LED off (the logo and mouse wheel light up):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I don't know if it's just that, or also the fact that your microphone is installed between the "G" and "H" keys, but holy shit it's earth-shattering on Discord.
    Compare to the silent operation of my keyboard's beautiful, beautiful Topre switches.