Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Editing (is really tedious)

Administrator

Video Editing (is really tedious)

I know some of you fellas have been editing videoz for quite some time, especially Mac, so I'm hoping I can pick your brains as I dive deeper into learning this new skillset. I've edited a few small simple movies here and there over the past few years, but recently my wife and I have decided to start a vlog about our family adventures, so I have jumped much deeper into the rabbit hole in the last couple weeks. I've been using Final Cut Pro X for the last 5 years or so because 1) I got it for free when I was I was working for Apple, and 2) I'm more familiar with that software than any other editing software.

Over the last month I have recorded footage during our outings and edited things together primarily to practice/learn without an expectation that i'd actually publish the "finished" product. This past weekend we recorded the first "real" footage and so i've been far more detail oriented with the editing process with this recent video to make sure it's fairly polished. Last night I spent maybe an hour or so on a rough edit, then I added in music and began the final edit. After like 5 more hours of editing to the beat and working on pacing and audio fade in/out, i have a whopping TWO MINUTES of edited video, and there's probably like 6 or 7 more minutes of rough edited video remaining. Holy smokes.

Please tell me this process will get faster. I know a lot of the slowdown right now is because i'm learning the more advanced (to me, at least) features. I spend quite a bit of time hitting a blocker, opening up youtube, finding some quick tutorial on getting past it, then continuing on. that's probably doubling my editing time.

Are any of you familiar with Final Cut Pro? If so, here's my current annoyance that I haven't figured out yet:
    After I had about a minute or so of "final" edited footage (starting from the beginning and working my way to the end of the video) I had dozens of clips, and three or four different audio tracks. I continued on editing for another hour or so and then i realized that while i was matching my scene edits to the beat of the current sound track, the sound track was actually attached to a clip much further down the timeline. This meant that as i was editing down (shortening) the video, the audio track was actually sliding UP the timeline. This caused the audio timing back towards the beginning of the video to become completely mismatched. It was infuriating. I couldn't figure it out. By this time it was like 11pm so i gave up for the night and went to bed. This morning I woke up and googled around a bit. I found out about these things called "connected clips". I've found articles that talk about creating connected clips, but I haven't found anything that says how to disconnect a connected clip. Please help! The only way i've gotten around it so far is to copy my audio clip, then delete the existing one, then paste back the one i copied and attempt to line it back up in the correct place to the best of my ability. Surely there's a better way, no?

For clarification, here's what i'm talking about. In this quick screencap you can see that my clip on the left is not connected to the audio track, but the clip on the right IS connected to the audio track
    https://cl.ly/3B3k1h2c2l2O

Aside from that question, lemme hear all your editing pro-tips

I go back to this tutorial Mac made a few year ago whenever I edit something. It's very effective for even a moron like me.

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    ...i've been far more detail oriented with the editing process with this recent video to make sure it's fairly polished. Last night I spent maybe an hour or so on a rough edit, then I added in music and began the final edit. After like 5 more hours of editing to the beat and working on pacing and audio fade in/out, i have a whopping TWO MINUTES of edited video...

Please tell me this process will get faster.
    Nope, not at all. If you're doing highly detailed work, and you're giving it a careful level of attention to detail, then this will always be an extremely time consuming process. Caring about the end result is a disease, making things look right is an addiction, and you will never get the last 10% exactly how you want it.

When I was editing that old Zelda video, for example, good fucking god. It was 17 hours to play through the game, then 30 hours to edit. All for 5-6 minutes of "final product."

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    Are any of you familiar with Final Cut Pro?
    Sorry, I'm 100% Adobe products here.

I use FCP but would not count myself as a master. That being said, I too have had that issue. I ended up using different layers for my video. I have the original layer with the attached audio. Then I just mute all the other audio clips and overlay the other video clips over the first one.

OK...I bet you have no idea what I am talking about here..........I talk good

Administrator
    ooh, that tip about audio popping between clips in mac's Premier tutorial is great! i gotta figure out how to do that in FCPX. I have definitely noticed that in a few transitions here and there and it's quite jarring.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Nope, not at all. If you're doing highly detailed work, and you're giving it a careful level of attention to detail, then this will always be an extremely time consuming process. Caring about the end result is a disease, making things look right is an addiction, and you will never get the last 10% exactly how you want it.

When I was editing that old Zelda video, for example, good fucking god. It was 17 hours to play through the game, then 30 hours to edit. All for 5-6 minutes of "final product."
    Hah, crap. Ok. I kind of figured that going in, i guess i had a bit of wishful thinking as i was falling asleep at the keyboard last night.

Here's my current timeline, i'm like MAYBE 1/3 through the final edit. Looks like i'm gonna have a few more late nights this week

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Sorry, I'm 100% Adobe products here.
    I have a full Adobe CC license as well, so maybe I'll install Premier Pro and play around with it as well at some point.

Administrator
    Well, I published the virst vlog today. I'd love any feedback and constructive criticism you may have. This one is only 4:30 because jesus, the editing, man. I wanted to get something out there in a reasonable timeframe. I'm also editing the rest of the footage from this weekend into 2 or 3 more episodes. We're hoping to pump out one a week

In probably 10 years of knowing you, I don't think I've ever heard your voice.

Only thing I'd say is it was a minute left when you hit people up for the subscription. You had the "post credits" funny, but it was a bit long after the "catch us next week" bit. I'd be curious to see if you see viewer drop off around then. Otherwise, good stuff and tight editing.

Administrator
    yeah, i was worried about that part as well for the same reason. I wanted to fix/rework it, but by that time i was like "i've been editing this thing for like 8 hours, i just need to stop touching it" it felt good enough to push out the door.

Administrator
    i just remembered another thing i was struggling with which added to that part. by the time i had the final edit done to about the 4 minute mark, there was basically a cross roads in the continuing content. I could either end the first vlog there, or edit the next content in, which would at least double the length (and editing time). I went with "end the first vlog here and push it out" plan. Then it was "hmm, how can i make this just a tad longer" to i think i stretched out those last three road clips a bit to add some text, then i figured i'd toss in the "DERP, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE CAMERA" clip. I'm still not sure i made the right decision, but that felt like a more natural stopping point then if i had continued on and added in the next 5-7 minutes of content.

one thing i've learned from this first batch of content is that i should really have at least half of an idea of when i'm in a position to record suitable 'wrap up'/'closing remarks' clips so that when i comes to editing I have a few options of where i can logically end a vlog. this was all pretty overwhelming this time around, it was difficult to remember to record, and then when we did, it was difficult to "act natural" and force myself to talk to the camera.