Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHALLENGE!

I built a thing! It's ugly, but functional. Now I'm trying to figure out RetroPie and all that. Just learned that MAME roms need to come in a package of other goodies. I did get a bunch of Atari games running and Sonic the Hedgehog.

I know some guys setting up an x-carve. When they get that running I'm going to make a more impressive housing for the controllers. Maybe even a tabletop arcade console.

Administrator
    lets see some pics!

right, pics or it didn't happen.

Player 1
    IMG_2106.JPG
    The guts are just zip tied together and loose on the inside
    IMG_2107.JPG
    Player 2
    IMG_2108.JPG

I only had a 1" drill bit and needed a 1-3/16" hole so I used my dremmel to ream out the rest. Not efficient, but functional. Otherwise it didn't take long. The wiring is idiot proof with this kit.

Administrator
    Any reason why you mounted the joystick at 90degrees, I assume the control can be remapped so that it doesn't matter, just curious. I noticed when i was hunting for designs that every one i saw had it mounted the "long" way vertical.

Administrator
    oh, and those look great, btw!

I thought I did it right. *shrug* I saw several mounted the other way, but the instructions for this one had the 5-pin connector toward the bottom of the controller so I did the same. I figured, like you did, that it ultimately didn't matter. So far it works great. Plus that left room for Start/Select above the joystick.

I also followed the button mapping from that link you found. I don't get why L1 & L2 are on the right side, but I went with it for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    oh, and those look great, btw!
    Thanks. It was all scrap material, which turned out nice. The woodwork was the easy part!

noyce

Turns out the orientation of the controller might matter. Using MAME games it seems they ignore the button mapping built into RetroPie and instead use some default because up moves to the left, right is up, etc.

You can remap the buttons per game, but with 2241 games it would be convenient to be able to remap all of them at once.

Administrator
    whoops!