Thread: Halloween

Halloween

I like horror movies, and since it's October I'm in the mood for some.

In that same vein, coming out on Netflix in two days:

The Haunting of Hill House

I will watch that. Probably this weekend. Unless it sucks.

Okay. It starts out pretty good, creepy, some nice scary stuff. The first 3 episodes are well put together, particularly once you figure out the show's structure: it's got a lot of jumping back and forth through time, particularly between all the "young family" and "present day" versions of the cast, and each episode focuses mostly on one member of the family across the two main time periods. I'd say 30% horror, 70% drama and mystery.

I just finished episodes 4-5 though, and fuck me. They fucked me up. It's after midnight and I want to watch more, but I also want to be able to sleep tonight.

There aren't a ton of jump scares in this, but the ones there are... are pretty good. One just hit me so hard that I jumped and made enough noise to disturb my pet rats across the room. They were playing in their little pool and they splashed water everywhere. The Haunting of Hill House just made me scare my rats into throwing water on the floor.

I was looking for some horror stories, comics, movies, etc. and stumbled onto this manga:

A Trail of Blood

Thought I'd take a look. It has no ghosts or goblins. It's definitely horror, but it's a type of horror I've never seen before. It's hitting me a little harder than I expected, too. It's about a little kid who loves his mommy very much, and it comes to light (for the reader, anyway) that his mother is deeply, deeply psychotic. He's 13, he trusts his mother implicitly, he doesn't even have words to describe what she is, and holy hell is it disturbing to watch him cope. You get to, like, chapter 11, and suddenly pages like this are enough to make you squirm:
    Attached Images Attached Images