Thread: Battle Angel Alita

Battle Angel Alita

New trailer looks okay. I loved the old manga, so I'll watch this... I just hope they don't turn it into an overt girlpower anthem, full of relevant social commentary about Cyborg Blasey Ford and Android Ocasio-Cortez. Alita is badass, the audience doesn't need explicit reminders that Girls Can Be Strong Too. Just show me, don't tell me.

"u just made the biggest mistake of ur life... underestimating a grrrrl <plays Madonna album, does flip kick>"

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I loved the old manga
    Thanks for clarifying the source material. I did not understand the exuberance from the internet peoples over this movie.

So what's the plot of the movie? In the 2 trailers I've seen I still don't understand why so many people are out to kill her. It sounds like she has some old and/or alien tech installed in her? I'm guessing then that this tech is uber powered and everyone wants it?

Well, basically yeah. In the manga anyway, the Doc finds her (torso) in a junkyard, brings her home and refurbishes her, and it turns out she's a badass cyborg that outclasses anything still operational in the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

It's a relatively formative work of cyberpunk. Both the manga and anime came out right around the same time as Ghost in the Shell, early 90s.

Is the main character all CGI, a la Gollum?
    - Definitely

Well, her eyes sure as heck are.

Saw it! Pretty okay. Fun. Great visuals, great action. Good acting. Preeeeetty bad dialogue, generic story.

They shoehorned a romantic subplot in, and it took up like 50% of the runtime. Not worth.