Thread: Exercise

Exercise

As a significantly out-of-shape person, I can't bring myself to call forced physical activity a "workout." It's an over-glamorizing term for what I'm doing. I'm not honing my form with a carefully selected regimen of maneuvers, I'm moving my body to avoid death.

This is a separate concept from "running" or "bicycling" as a sport, and thus it gets a separate thread.

Today's topic is static electricity. I bought a treadmill, mounted a laptop to the wall, and now I go for a brisk (20 to 30 minute) walk in the morning before work. Without having to leave the house, or heat my fragile skin in the sun! It's wonderful. Unfortunately, the wire of my earbuds is apparently the most efficient path for static buildup, so I hear an obnoxious pop/crack as it periodically discharges into the IEM. I can avoid it by keeping one hand on the metal rail to my side (grounding myself) but that annoys me.

#firstworldproblems

So your laptop and your treadmill are separate and you + your headphones are what is connecting the two?

Wireless headphones?

ESD Grounding strap? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N8ZQKY..._4sMNCbM5SB35T

Humidifier? I don't remember why, but if you're getting too much zappy zap in the winter here in WI you can increase the humidity to prevent it. I think the dry air promotes friction and therefore static build up.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    Wireless headphones?
    Yup, most likely solution, though a grounding strap is an interesting idea...

I have a treadmill at home and I haven't had that problem. I am running though, so perhaps the different gait means I'm not building up static electricity. I also use a set of bluetooth headphones that I like a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/ZEUS-Bluetoot...83469438&psc=1

They have broken once (likely due to rough handling) but they sent me a replacement pair at no cost.

I also had this problem. My headphones had an extension from the TV to my head so I wrapped a wire around the exposed metal at the junction and wrapped the other end around my wrist. The grounding strap product sounds like a nicer solution but at the time I had an old phone wire handy.

Eventually I followed this up with wireless headphones which are much nicer.

Also, good job moving your body on a regular basis to stave off the grim specter of death. : prost:

If you find the treadmill to be daunting some mornings you might consider the stationary e-bike as an option.

Oh god. It begins.

My weightloss plan is working and I'm down over 25 lbs with about 20 to go, but I need to add some working out so I'm not just a skinnier fluff-ball. I saw this video today and it makes his plan very approachable so I may give it a go.

I mean, the exercise is fine, but ... maybe just pick a real plan that isn't an anime meme? Like, include some pull-ups or something, vary the workout from day to day for different muscle groups, traditional stuff.