Thread: Slay the Spire

Slay the Spire

Anybody else play Slay the Spire? If you're not familiar, it's a "roguelite" deck builder where you climb up 50 random(ish) floors, picking up cards for your deck (and Relics to passively buff you). You draw 5 cards every turn, then the enemies get a turn, etc. Lots of synergistic card/relic combos, three different character/deck archetypes, quick gameplay.

There are also random (seeded) daily runs, and oodles of achievements. I've been trying to knock out some achievements, and one of the tougher ones is called "Minimalist." You have to beat the game with a 5 card (or smaller) deck. Given that you start with a 10 card deck of very basic cards, the challenge is less about coming up with some broken combo that will easily solo the game in 5 cards or less, and more about carefully plotting your course from floor to floor, finding ways to remove cards and get down to 5, before you even start thinking about adding anything cool.

I baaaarely managed it:

minimalist.jpg

Relic wise, Torii and Thread & Needle probably saved me some damage, Fusion Hammer and Sozu helped me play every card I needed, but the real star of the show was Smiling Mask. Absolutely could not have done the challenge without that.

There's another achievement for beating the game with 1 relic. Might tackle that one next, but I think I need a break.
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-20-2019 at 02:23 PM.

I'm impressed. That sounds very difficult.

I'm sure there's a dozen ways to do the challenge; certain infinite combos spring to mind, for example. But I have to say I'm proud of my deck's elegant simplicity.

You'll have the same 5 cards in hand every turn, unless you end up fighting a boss that fills your deck with garbage (which would be a huge problem for nearly any 5 card deck; I got lucky). If you're about to take a hit, you play Flame Barrier+ and it even deals a little damage. If you're not taking a hit, you play Bash+ and stack up some vulnerability; Bash+ puts 3 stacks on, so it's definitely not required every turn.

The only thing you absolutely do play every single turn is Rampage+, because that's your win condition. The way that damage scales up every turn, especially with vulnerability, is satisfying to watch.