Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's good on HBO?

After watching all of Barry, I dove into Watchmen (only 4 episodes so far) and it's great. But I'm caught up, so now I started Silicon Valley. So painful. So familiar. I hate it.

Holy moly guys, Watchmen is really good. 1 episode left and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Pretty sure the reason there was mixed press (at first) was that people were expecting either a remake, or a sequel to the Zack Snyder film version. It's neither of those things. The HBO series continues from the 1987 comic, in that universe, and takes the story in new directions 30+ years later. It ignores the movie entirely.

So "Watchmen 2009" fans watch the first episode, they're confused, they rate the show 1 star on IMDB and stop watching. That's why it's sitting at 7.4 stars as a series.

But if you look at the individual episode ratings, after the first couple that got review bombed, they're almost all at 9+ stars.

This show alone makes me glad I kept my HBO sub after the disaster that was GOT's finale. When Watchmen finishes, I'm gonna dive into His Dark Materials next.

Watchmen is done! It was good. The ending was good, if quiet. If that makes sense.

Manhattan evaporates, Lady Trieu gets frozen shrimp dropped on her, Veidt gets hit with a wrench. Sister Night may have powers but they (appropriately) left that up for the fans to debate. I want to say it was vaguely unsatisfying, but that's not fair because it was still a well constructed episode. Just... quiet. Kinda like the finale of Breaking Bad.

Anyway! Last episode of His Dark Materials airs on the 23rd, so I'm probably clear to start a binge on that show too.

Then in January, The Outsider starts up, and that looks interesting (based on a Stephen King novel). HBO is continuing to earn my monthly subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Last episode of His Dark Materials airs on the 23rd, so I'm probably clear to start a binge on that show too.

Then in January, The Outsider starts up, and that looks interesting (based on a Stephen King novel). HBO is continuing to earn my monthly subscription.
    Yep. I was about to dig into His Dark Materials, but instead I figured I'd catch up on The Outsider (3 episodes so far). And now I'm totally hooked. Reeeeeally good.

Lovecraft Country, coming August 16th, horror series (?) produced by JJ Abrams and Jordan Peele. I'm in.

Interesting. A science fiction series produced by Ridley Scott on HBO, you'd think I'd be all in on that shit, but... this trailer leaves me pretty cold.

Man, HBO's teaching me all kinds of things about racism. First Watchmen learnt me about the Tulsa Riots, and now Lovecraft Country is introducing me to Sundown Towns. We're a shitty race of mammals overall.

Lovecraft Country is a weird show so far. Three episodes in, I'm enjoying it, but... while the episodes are loosely tied together by the main characters, each of them has been like a self-contained horror story all on its own. It's more like Black Twilight Zone, featuring the same set of ridiculously unlucky people. So far:

1. Racism and Cthulhu monsters
    2. Racism and an evil cult
    3. Racism and a very haunted house