Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Debacle 2020

If Bloomberg wins I might be more upset than I was about Trump winning.

What the fuck do those 19% of people like about Bloomberg? What's his platform? More money for Bloomberg?

Nobody likes anything about Bloomberg. There is no organic word of mouth or excitement, no energized crowds or meaningful platform.

His whole candidacy is textbook astroturfing. He pays social media influencers to mention him, he has a firm creating shitty memes 24 hours a day, he bombards the airwaves with commercials. His spending is utterly without precedent, and he says he's willing to spend as much as $1B of his own money. And people are falling for it, because people are morons. It's kind of dystopic.

You've heard about candidates buying an election? That's what he's doing right now. A Bloomberg presidency would be worse for Democrats than Trump has been for Republicans.

This makes me sick. Maybe his two stents will fail and he'll die.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    This makes me sick. Maybe his two stents will fail and he'll die.
    I didn't watch the debate. I hate these debates. But here's a nice article you may enjoy:

Michael Bloomberg Just Helped Every Other Candidate Prove They Can Humiliate a Thin-Skinned, Entitled Billionaire

In the words of Susan Crabtree, he brought a wallet to a knife fight.

Mayor Pete is out.

Now who do I vote for:

Sanders? No. I don't respect making tons of promises he can't keep. I can't respect putting out plans without details. Pie in the sky ideas are fine, but NONE of it is going to happen. Frankly, it's too important to get Trump out. There's no way moderate Republicans vote for Sanders. Nominating him is a repeat of McGovern. Nope.
    Warren? I've read articles saying that moderates in CA should vote for Warren to blunt Bernie's momentum. Hrm. Maybe. As a politician I see her in the cabinet or head of the Senate. I don't see her as president.
    Biden? Maybe. I'd rather have 4-years-ago Biden. He seems to have lost a step or two.
    Klobuchar? Maybe. She registers a zero on the charisma-meter though. I don't see her doing well against Trump.
    Bloomberg? Hrm. Hard to trust a guy who was a Republican, although he's definitely a centrist. He did run NYC so he has experience. It would be fun to put up someone who's richer than Trump and ran successful businesses. He would definitely give moderate Republicans who hate Trump something to think about.

It's a stumper.

And, for the record, any of them is 1000% better than our current president. A day old ham sandwich is better than our current president.

And, note to candidates like Sanders: Cool it on bashing the other candidates. That crap comes back to haunt you in the general election.
    Last edited by RainMan; 03-01-2020 at 07:25 PM.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    I want change, or at least a conversation about change. Pete is/was too moderate for me.

I want a non-traditional candidate, but being gay isn't enough of a differentiator, and roughly 60% of political candidates are scrappy underdogs.

So I was never very interested in Buttigieg.

Sanders? No. I don't respect making tons of promises he can't keep.
    No President can enact all the policies he/she talks about on the campaign trail. I'm not voting for someone to be a superhuman one-man wrecking crew, to barge into Washington and rewrite the Constitution. I want someone who'll keep progressive policies in the limelight and move conversation in a productive direction. Not simply stagnate. Stagnation lets our malignant brand of capitalism entrench itself.

I can't respect putting out plans without details.
    https://berniesanders.com/issues/

\_(ツ)_/

Man, you must love Elizabeth "There's A Plan With No Details For That" Warren.

There's no way moderate Republicans vote for Sanders.
    You were hoping for Republican votes?

Bloomberg? Hrm. Hard to trust a guy who was a Republican, although he's definitely a centrist. He did run NYC so he has experience. It would be fun to put up someone who's richer than Trump and ran successful businesses. He would definitely give moderate Republicans who hate Trump something to think about.
    You'd vote for Bloomberg over Sanders?

Klobuchar is now out as well. Honestly amazed she didn't wait til tomorrow night and take the Bernie delegates from Minnesota before she left. I'm waiting for the 538 forecast to update with that new bit of info. Wasn't sure about going to the primary tomorrow, but might now.

I think she was mainly interested in making sure none of her voters would defect to Buttigieg. She had to last 1 day longer. Klob's one petty mofo.

And the 538 forecast is 100% based on polls, right? I don't think they're going to change anything based on people dropping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I want change, or at least a conversation about change. Pete is/was too moderate for me.

I want a non-traditional candidate, but being gay isn't enough of a differentiator, and roughly 60% of political candidates are scrappy underdogs.

So I was never very interested in Buttigieg.
    His being gay was a no-op for me. Admirably, it was for his campaign too. He didn't flog the "I'm the gay candidate" thing.

When I decide who to vote for I try to decide who I think would be the best president overall. If I don't agree with their politics as much as another candidate, but I feel like they'd be better in the office I vote for him.

I learned that lesson when I was an ardent conservative in 2000. After watching the debates I knew in my heart of hearts that Gore was far more qualified to be president than GWB. However I let my ideology get the better of me and I voted for W. I have never regretted a vote so much before or since. So I don't vote as much on ideology now (not to say that I don't at all) so much as the quality of the individual.

I see Sanders as a gadfly, not as a president. He's good at giving speeches and putting questions forward, but he's not the guy I want answering the phone at 3am when some unforseen crisis suddenly arises.

None of the remaining Democrats is a slam-dunk for me. I see Bernie as the modern day George McGovern. I see his electoral chances in the general election about the same as McGovern's too.
    - Definitely