Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: so you want to know about Disney, Oblivious style

so you want to know about Disney, Oblivious style

What you see before you is a thread by Oblivious members about Disney Theme parks, their trials and tribulations at the parks, as well as their victories and triumphs! Ok, so I added some Disney drama without the aid of animatronics, I'm still mentally there. Anyhow, please add your thoughts and opinions of the Happiest Place on Earth!

NOTE: - I am not a Disney expert, and in no way represent Disney and their company which would probably send an animatronic singing bird to kill me if they knew I was typing this.
    Last edited by thumblewort; 10-28-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Where to Stay My experience is based on 2 trips to the park, one last week, and one in 2008. We stayed at All Star Sports this time, which is considered a value resort. We booked this through AAA, cost with 5 day hopper passes $1895. Tickets alone were $1300 or so, so call the hotel $550 or so for 7 nights. This also included transfers, which means once you check into your departure airport (Grand Rapids for me), the next time you see your luggage it's being delivered to your hotel door. You don't have to wait for it at the airport, just hop on the Magical Express bus at the airport, and get the trip started. Same with leaving, check your bags at the hotel the morning you leave, next time you see them is at your home airport, pretty slick, and all part of the cost.

The All Star resorts are 3 ginormous hotels, all Disneyed up. They are Sports, Music, and Movies. We stayed at Movies, in '08, the wings were 101 Dalmations, Herbie the Love Bug, Toy Story, Mighty Ducks (might be foregetting one). The wings at Sprts are, Tennis, Basketball, Football, Baseball, and Surfing/Watersports (not the kind Kiran likes). There are 2 pools at each hotel, I recommend you Google Earth them, and you can see the Disneyed up layouts. The kids go ga-ga over this stuff, and it is kinda cool.

The food court is nice, but does get old after a week. The kids ate breakfast everyday, rolls and donughts are $2-$3 each. Lunches and Dinners for kids are $4.99, and include a drink and 2 sides, mine usually had chicken nuggets and fries with grapes and a water. Adult dinners ( we never ate lunch there) range from $7.99 to $10.89, and are nice sized with SOME variety, but not too much. You can also get a pizza with breadsticks there, or delivered to your room for about $20, I found the pizza to be meh at best, but the breadsticks were good.

Ok, big tip here for beverages, spend the $13 for "the cup". "The cup" allows you to refill on pop unlimited amounts of time at the resort, so even twice a day for 3 days and you are ahead. They say only valid during your stay, but from what I hear, it's a lifetime investment. They have beer for $5-6 a bottle, and wine as well. Plus, there is a full bar in the commisary, but at $9 per foo-foo drink, we never bothered. To be blunt, I haven't been sober for a week since I was 15 until last week. Ouch man.

Rooms are small but doable. I didn't like the fact there weren't towels at the pools, that you had to use room towels for that, and call room service for bathing towels. We got adept at maid cart pilfering for towels by the second day.

Why stay at a Disney resort? The bus system baby! At ANY Disney resort, the longest you have to wait to get to anywhere else in the complex is 20 minutes, and we only had that wait once. $14 for parking per day? Forget about it. Heard that the new purple bear from TS3 is at Hollywood Studions, and it's the last autograph you need, but you are at the Magic Kingdom, leave and catch a bus, you'll be there in 15 minutes (assuming you have a hopper pass). Plus, as a guets, you get Extra Magic Hours (EMH). EMH allow you into one of the parks an hour early, and one of the parks 3 hours later past normal closing. The parks rotate each day.

The resorts also have a full sundry store, with Disney items, room items, booze if you like (at double the cost). We bought milk for the room, and muffins for snack, much cheaper then in the cafe'. The also have a decent sized arcade/fun center that has the ticket thing going on, we got a nice koosh ball and a stuffed football for only $20..........hey, wait a minute.......
    Last edited by thumblewort; 10-28-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Tickets

Ok, Tickets are expensive. $82 for an adult on day non hopper. $60 some for the kidders. Disney for one day is a big wallet ouch. But the do get cheaper the longer you stay. We had 5 day hoppers, $344 each adult, and $280 someting per kid, all I know is that they were a touch under $1300. So at normal prices, 5 day non hoppers would be $1500 or so, but getting a package saved $200, plus we got the hopper action. That mean we can hop to any of the 4 parks anytime we want, which we did the last 2 days, it was nice.

There is a water park option to add, I do not have the details. I do know that after 5 day, you can add days for $5 a ticket, so the longer you stay, the cheaper getting into the parks becomes.

Did you buy the package directly from Disney's web site or did you go through an agent. Did you have to pay taxes?

We went through a travel agent here in town. I will have to check is there were taxes included, ATM I know the package cost $1895. I am fairly certain that does include hotel tax, etc, since the $49 dollar room always comes out to $60.

On the travel agent note, milk the agent for free stuff. We got 2 Disney autogragh books, and a Birnbaum's guide for free, The autograph books for the kids are $8 in the park, and I think that guide is $13.

Tips and Tricks, In My Humble Opinion

- if you're gonna be the mouse's guest for a week, and you like popcorn, pack some microwave stuff from home. The stuff we get here is $1 for 3 packs, at Disney microwave popcorn is $2.79 a pack. Same with any snack you can pack, my wife had packets of Propel all week. We bought a large water at the sundry store for $3.50, enough for 3 bottles of 20 oz water which are normally $2.50 a crack.

- Hotel guests get Extra Magic Hours.........avoid that park that day, it's gonna be busy. Last week is the off season, and there were 60-80 minute waits on rides in the parks with Extra Magic Hours, the other parks 20 minutes at most for the BEST rides. It seems weird to not go to a park with more hours, but you'll do more at the other parks.

- One of the parks has the Not-so Scary Halloween, Mouse-tastic Christmas, Mickey gets an enema etc., party from 7 PM-12AM or later for an extra $60 a pop.........DO go to that park during the day, and bail at 7, they had one of the Halloween parties the day we were at the MK, and rides were walk on until 6.30 or so, PLUS, while they do not kick you out, you cannot ride anything if you don't have a wristband.

More to come, See ya Really soon!

The park hoppers are quite fantastic.

I'll talk to my parents in regards to what they do for Disney trips. Hell, I've been there more times than any 24-year old should have been...

If the day ends up being a rainstorm, I would also recommend Downtown Disney, the Marketplace, and Disney Quest. DD has tons of places to eat that usually have a show or two going on somewhere. The Marketplace is rather nice in terms of finding gifts and the like, as it has things found from multiple parks, as well as other memorabilia and even some non-disney objects. Disney Quest is basically the indoor theme park for Disney, filled with arcade games, some VR stuff, and a bunch of little indoor games for the kiddies. When I went with my family, they went shopping at Downtown Disney, while they dropped me off at Disney Quest as the park hopper they got covered DQ as well. But, if you want Disney to be non-VG, then it would be best to avoid that place.

I also remember there being Cirque du Solei at Downtown Disney right by DQ. If it's still there, and you have money to burn, I would highly recommend seeing it. It's an absolutely amazing show.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

EPCOT - The future was 39 years ago

That was harsh, since I do like Epcot, but it is the least favorite of the 4 though. And to be perfectly fair, I did not fully explore the whole park, as the kids had zero interest in World Showcase, and my wife got sick on Mission:Space.

Walt's vision of a futuristic city is fun, but knowing that he died in 1971, I think the future of the park stopped there in his head. Epcot was opened in 1982, with some attractions being added since then. The only con I can think of is that the thrill seekers clog up Soarin' and Test Track up by noon, so that the 2 "coolest" rides have a large wait unless you Fastpass them.

The good.

Spaceship Earth, or "why am I going into a giant siver golf ball with strangers" - This is a nice, slow journey back in time to see how Al Gore invented the internets. Best feature - picture gets snapped early with you and other rider, as you decend in the dark in the golf ball, computer asks you multiple choice questions, and you get a 3 minute show with your head attached to the animation. Kids loved it! This is a true classic ride with the famous Disney aminatronics in full effect.

Test Track "mmmmm mmmmm mmmm mmmmm" - One of the 2 "thrill rides" at Epcot, it's the Disney version of Stay in School, or I'll be a crash test dummy. Thrilling for kids, and maybe for adults whom haven't ridden large coasters. I thought it was fun, but it was more fun to see my boys so jakked about it, we EMH'ed into it and rode 4 times before the line got to 20 minutes. (Funny note, I heard one Disney employee saying it was the fastest ride in the world....at 64.8 MPH, I almost bought him a Cerar Point ticket on the spot.)

The Land - Living with the Land boat ride, or, "holy shit, why aren't you growing weed on trees too" - This is the ride to go on to rest your feet and cool down for 20 minutes. No waiting, and a pleasant boat ride. First half animatronics, second half some bizarre ways to grow fruits and veggies.....tomato tree anyone?

The Land - Soarin' - No comment, first day line was 70 minutes, and since it's a simulator, wife bowwed out, and kids were scared. Sigh, it's supposed to be a very cool simulated flight over California on a hang glider, then you crash and become a NHB Rollin' 20 Blood and keep it gangsta for the rest of your stay.

The ride with "Figment" - This one is for the kids, for me it was a nice way to get into a slow air conditioned ride. I have no clue who Figment is, so I was noy connected to the ride. And of course there was the obligatory merch room at the end, with the obligatory "No, you can't have that" response.

We ate at a typical Disney style restaurant with 500 of our newest friends, the food is fine, and I liked that you get to pour your own pop, i.e. refills galore.

I'd like to return to Epcot when the Food and Wine Fest isn't going from a crowd perspective, or go there during the fest, sans children.
    Last edited by thumblewort; 11-04-2010 at 06:37 AM.

I would think Rock n Roller Coaster is faster.

Innovations used to be fun, but it's degraded since then. The Body Works attraction has since been removed, so no more Body Wars or Cranium Command.

There is also Universe of Energy, which is another ride to go on when you need to rest for a bit out of the sun.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Soarin' is a very nice 'ride' indeed. It's a simulator unlike any other that I have experienced. You are actually suspended in air while looking at an IMAX size screen simulating a ride in a glider over California.

And the world showcase is by far my own favorite part of WDW, but I can see how it can be boring for some people. I personally enjoy the culture hopping feel of the place. Norway has a pretty cool water ride if I recall, and Canada's 360 theater experience is very cool too (but I'm biased on this one.)