Thread: Pokemon and How to Avoid Them

Pokemon and How to Avoid Them

Pokemon Sword & Shield is (are?) out. I hear it's "Gen 8" and my brain doesn't know what to do with that information. I've always been curious about the Pokemon series, but I've been too intimidated to jump in. The longer I go, the more I realize the games are braindead simple and there's nothing to be intimidated about. That said, Sword & Shield has (have?) pretty mediocre reviews. Maybe I'll wait for the enhanced version.

In the mean time, I did some research to get it all straight in my head and figure out WTF is going on with generations and shit. Famously, they've always released the games in two "versions" (to maximize profit by forcing parents to buy both versions for their kids, due to exclusive Pokemon in one version vs. another) and then a third "enhanced version" a year or two later with some extra features. Here's all of that shit, organized so I can comprehend it:

Year Gen Main Games Enhanced Ed.
    1998 1 GB Red & Blue Yellow Originals came out 2 years earlier in Japan
    1999 2 GBC Gold & Silver Crystal (2000)
    2003 3 GBA Ruby & Sapphire Emerald (2004)
    2004 1 (remake) GBA FireRed & LeafGreen N/A Emerald engine (GBA) used to remake Gen 1 (GB)
    2006 4 DS Diamond & Pearl Platinum (2008)
    2009 2 (remake) DS HeartGold & SoulSilver N/A Platinum engine (DS) used to remake Gen 2 (GBC)
    2010 5 DS Black & White N/A No "enhanced edition" for Gen 5
    2012 5 (?) DS Black 2 & White 2 N/A Direct sequels to B&W using the same engine
    2013 6 3DS X & Y N/A No "enhanced edition" for Gen 6
    2014 3 (remake) 3DS Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire N/A X&Y engine (3DS) used to remake Gen 3 (GBA)
    2016 7 3DS Sun & Moon Ultra Sun & Moon (2017) Double dipping on the "enhanced editions"
    2018 1 (remake) NS Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee N/A Developed concurrently with Gen 8
    2019 8 NS Sword & Shield ?

EDIT: There are only 6 calendar years out of the past 22 where no major Pokemon game was released.
    Last edited by Macheath; 12-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Pokemon Sword & Shield is (are?) out.
    Pretty good summary of all the sentiments I've been seeing online. Also a highly entertaining video.

Well if Nintendo ain't gonna do it, Temtem's got your back. It's a Pokemon MMO!

https://www.humblebundle.com/g/temtem