Thread: Stay awake computer!

Stay awake computer!

Our new computer profiles force the computer to logout after 10 minutes. It's just enough to be irritating. No access to alter the settings, the setting literally doesn't exist in my view of the control panel.

Looking for a mechanical solution to "beat the system". I don't think the old tipping bird trick actually works on a keyboard.

Ideally the solution would be automatically implemented when I walk away or continually active but not interfere with my work flow.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Our new computer profiles force the computer to logout after 10 minutes.
    After 10 minutes... of inactivity, right? Not just every 10 minutes.

I don't have a ton of sympathy, I've been locking my computer screen when I walk away from it for a decade now.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

I assume this is a work computer? Is this box unchecked?

It's unchecked on my work computer but that doesn't do anything. There's company infosec software loaded that forces a login every time

screensaver setting.PNG

I don't think you'll find something that magically activates when you walk away, but here's a mechanical solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Mouse.../dp/B07P6HBD1N

SECURITY GUY: What is that

YOU: It's my mouse holster I'm the fastest draw in the west

SECURITY GUY: Ok

I found that windows media player on repeat never locks the screen.

Also, when my kids leave Minecraft running on a computer, the screen/computer never go to sleep. So you just have to come up with a work appropriate reason that you have Minecraft running at all times.

Yes, it is "inactive for 10 minutes" causes the login. No, there aren't any settings I have access to that will change it. I decided to try a little program called "caffeine" which keeps it awake. It runs locally on the machine and I'm not sure if anyone will notice or care so I'm going with that for now.

Aside from that someone told me setting the mouse on a simple clock will trigger the mouse and keep things "active" so I'll try that if my software fix is nixed.