Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus COVID Excitement Thread

Jesus Christ you dumb fucks

#QuarantineFlorida

They've got us on "Shelter in place" here in the bay area. That's just short of having the police tell you to go back home if you don't have critical business to do.
    - Definitely

Wisconsin has banned public gatherings of 10+ people, closed public k-12 schools indefinitely, and closed all "indoor eating" at bars and restaurants.

My employer has dragged its feet for YEARS on implementing a real remote-work solution ("Citrix Workspace should be good enough"), but was working on rolling out a soft VPN with a target date of quarter-end. That project got fast tracked when they decided on Friday that Monday was the day everyone was going to take their equipment home and use the soft VPN. It's been, in a word: interesting.

Me and my dev teams are fine and are enjoying the upgrade to an actual VPN. Others in the company have not had it so easy. Some people needed pictures and instructions on how to take their desktop PC home and set it back up. Others had panic attacks because they were losing their human contact from coming to work. The help desk and IT security folks have been having fun trying to get everything working for people with a multitude of hardware mixes and on different internet providers.

We're being told to plan to work in this way for 2 - 4 weeks minimum. I think it'll be more like 2 - 4 months.

I'm telling all my folks to set up a proper work space and trying to warn them about the traps and pitfalls I've experienced while working remote. Meanwhile I break all those rules by working from my couch in my pajamas.

Found out yesterday that a person (X) that I work closely with has been exposed to someone (Y) at our company who was exposed to someone (Z) who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Z does not work for my employer. Y works for my employer and was exposed to Z at a sales conference in Cabo. X was then exposed to Y in meetings back in the office last week. I had lunch with X on Friday.

X and Y are part of a group of 11 employees that were exposed to Z directly or others who were exposed to Z. Those 11 have been instructed to self-quarantine for 14 days. Yesterday was day 11 since the exposure. None of the 11 have reported testing positive.

So:

Cabo: Z + Y
    Madison: Y + X
    Lunch: X + Liuv

As of right now there are no instructions from the company for people that are third-hand(?) exposed like I was exposed to X. Not sure how I feel about that.

Oh, also, one of my employees (whom I also had lunch with on Friday) has been out sick with respiratory symptoms all week. She's the type to milk PTO and is immediately using the 3 days of sick leave that the company granted. I'm not sure what to think about that. She says that she has called and video chatted with the doctor and they did not want her to come in and get tested yet. Told her to call back in 72 hours if things didn't improve.

Dr. Seema had my attention throughout. Vitally important information.

So, has to be aware of the increasing volume of cleavage throughout, right?

You're right, I honestly didn't even notice, but

begin.jpg end.jpg

Eheheheheh
    Attached Images Attached Images

My office is staying open and encouraging us to come to the office because we are an "essential business". The projects that I'm currently working on won't be built until 2021 at the soonest, there are are two being built right now but any questions get answered over the phone anyway. We build roads and bridges and none of that is happening urgently. On the other hand my wife is a nurse and she is legitimately concerned how the hospital is going to survive this crisis. It's hard to not laugh at my boss when he tells me we are "essential".

We are open, but there are only about 6 people in the office, while we have to have our warehouse staff come in each day. We're doing all we can to provide them with cleaning supplies and keep them separated as best we can, but we're a bit limited there. I was going in because my quality team can't really work from home too much, but now I have a kid throwing up, so I'm working from home for now. We do supply to medical and critical infrastructure companies, so there is some honesty to considering ourselves essential. Really though, this keep everyone I work with collecting paychecks and keeping their families taken care of, so, that's good.