Thread: Lovecraft, Cthulhu, and Cosmic Tentacle Monsters

Lovecraft, Cthulhu, and Cosmic Tentacle Monsters

I watched Color Out of Space (2019) yesterday. It's (apparently) a faithful remake of an H.P. Lovecraft story. I've never read any of 'em, I couldn't tell you. I just like the mythos. I like the creepy cosmic feel of unknowable ancient things.

This movie was alright. On the range of Nicolas Cage insanity, I feel like it needed more. There's your basic "normalboy" Cage stuff (National Treasure, Lord of War) on one end, then the "this is what I watch for" Cage stuff (Face/Off, Mandy) way out on the other end. Color Out of Space is in an uncomfortable middle ground, right next to movies like Bad Lieutenant, where it feels (to me) like he needed to go either more balls-out, or keep it balls-in.

I've never seen a direct adaptation of Lovecraft that I liked. Maybe I'm a poser, talking out of my ass, and I don't actually like the Lovecraft mythos, just what I perceive to be the Lovecraft mythos. But I love the feel of movies like:

All of that feels more "Lovecraftian" to me than fucking Dagon.

The Void (2016) and The Endless (2017) are two movies that are clearly inspired by Lovecraft, though not based on any specific story. Their trailers do a pretty good job of evoking the feel I'm looking for:

Last edited by Macheath; 04-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Oh yeah, I always forget about this bastard too. Warning: extremely graphic Cthulhu stuff.