Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Anybody playing Animal Crossing? I've been squeezing in 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there during WFH quarantine daze, and... it's great. I need more fruit, though. Hit me up with your fruit offers.

Between stardew valley and minecraft, what hotness does animal crossing bring to the table? I've never played the older installments.

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
    Between stardew valley and minecraft, what hotness does animal crossing bring to the table? I've never played the older installments.
    Crushing debt to a trash panda.

Animal Crossing is old hotness compared to Stardew, it predates Stardew by a decade or two.

They're similar in many ways, but the one biggest difference is that Animal Crossing is pure chill. You can drop in for a few minutes or three hours, stop when you want. It moves in real time, so there's a bit of a time gate on what you can accomplish. Mine all your rocks, shake all your trees, and... they're empty now, until tomorrow. It's just a place to relax, rather than making sweaty progress by "going to bed" and starting the next day.

There's not much comparison with Minecraft. In the mid-to-late game, you can start terraforming your island and moving stuff around, but it's nothing like Minecraft. Aside from the relaxation aspect.

There's a "stalk market" in Animal Crossing, where you buy turnips on Sunday, then you get a changing price over the course of the week (2 prices per day) and have an opportunity to turn a profit. The turnips spoil after a week, so you need to sell by Saturday night.

I bought 500 turnips on Sunday, at a price of 101 bells each. I'm in for over 50k bells. So far I've seen four prices:

Monday AM 52
    Monday PM 47
    Tuesday AM 43
    Tuesday PM 38

Fuck my life.

Now you know what Drewbie feels like.

What are the prices today!? I need an update.

Quote Originally Posted by liuv View Post
    What are the prices today!? I need an update.
    Just gonna keep this table going:

Monday AM 52
    Monday PM 47
    Tuesday AM 43
    Tuesday PM 38
    Wednesday AM 35
    Wednesday PM 30
    Thursday AM 27

At this point I'm wondering how low it can go.

EDIT: Still wondering. Race to the bottom, boys!

EDIT: Thursday and still dropping. My friend's island is at 131. I might fly over there and sell just to avoid losing my ass.
    Last edited by Macheath; 04-02-2020 at 10:03 AM.

So, you're paying for the online Nintendo service so you can visit other islands? I'm going batty waiting to get enough iron to build the store. This pace is nuts to me, given I've got the time to rush something.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    I'm going batty waiting to get enough iron to build the store. This pace is nuts to me, given I've got the time to rush something.
    It's supposed to be relaxing, my dude.

You can keep busy in AC, once you have Nook Miles. There's always something to do. Fish, plant seeds, shake trees, build DIY recipes. Earn Nook Miles. Turn in Nook Miles for a ticket to visit a random island, harvest stuff there. Bring it back home, make an orchard out of your new non-native fruit (if you got lucky).

But yeah, it's all on a real-time clock. There's only so much hard progression you can do in a given day, unless you're a cheating time-traveling trash man.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbie View Post
    So, you're paying for the online Nintendo service so you can visit other islands?
    Yeah. I don't think you need NSO to go to a Nook island. But to visit a friend, you do.