Thread: What's on Apple TV+

What's on Apple TV+

Ted Lasso: I binged it, it's pretty good. Cute, wholesome. Worth watching.

Wolfwalkers: Got bored, turned it off.

Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet: Got bored, turned it off. Might watch some more, I have a crush on Poppy. But I dunno. Heavy Silicon Valley vibes, and I wasn't too into that.

Fireball: Visitors from Darker Worlds: Got bored, turned it off.

The Morning Show: Watching it right now. 15 minutes in, already being preached at by Reese Witherspoon about... coal? Feels like the preachier episodes of Newsroom. Not a promising start, but gonna stick with it. This is the major ATV+ tentpole.

Defending Jacob: Will check this out at some point. Captain America as a lawyer.

Servant: Will also check this out at some point. M. Night Shyamalan miniseries of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    The Morning Show: Watching it right now. 15 minutes in, already being preached at by Reese Witherspoon about... coal? Feels like the preachier episodes of Newsroom. Not a promising start, but gonna stick with it. This is the major ATV+ tentpole.
    Just polished this off. I thought they'd cover some other topics (a la Newsroom), but nope... the whole thing is basically #MeToo: The Show.

But that's fine, it's a difficult and important subject, the movement has its own TV miniseries now. I have no idea how they'll ever do a season two, unless they move on from #MeToo shenanigans somehow.

Review-wise, I have only one thing to say: in a show full of good actors acting good, Billy Crudup fucking kills it. That dude, I love that dude, and he's obscenely good as Cory Ellison in The Morning Show. You heard it here first. Second? No? An Emmy already, you say?

Well, you did hear it here, though.

I wouldn't have guessed this was particularly adaptable (maybe even less so than Dune) but here we are. Bless you for trying, Apple. I will watch.

EDIT: Oh, and season 2 of Ted Lasso, I gotta do some catching up. I've still got Apple TV+ at least for now!

EDIT: Oh, and season 2 of Ted Lasso, I gotta do some catching up. I've still got Apple TV+ at least for now!
    Roy has easily taken over as the best character on this show. What a mensch.

EDIT: And Sam is the smoothest motherfucker on the planet. Daaaamn.
    Last edited by Macheath; 09-13-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Roy has easily taken over as the best character on this show. What a mensch.
    "It hurt my feeling." -Roy Kent

Season 2 lost me a little bit for a few episodes in the middle, but it finished strong. Fuck Nate.

EDIT: Apparently Brett Goldstein (Roy) was originally one of the show's writers:

"I was just writing on the show, and around about episode five, I started to think, 'I really understand Roy. I really get Roy. I think Roy is within me,'" Goldstein tells T&C.

"But I also knew no one was thinking of me for Roy, and I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable by saying it in the room because we still had time to go, and it would have been really awkward if I had gone, 'I think I could be Roy,' and everybody be like, 'no.' Then we'd still have to see each other every day." So he waited until the end of the writing session, and made a self-tape of five of Roy's scenes.

"I sent an email the next day, and I said, 'Look, I think I could play Roy, but I appreciate no one's asking for this, so if this is awkward or uncomfortable, and it's shit, pretend you never got this email. I'll never ask you about it and we never need to talk about it again,'" he says.

"They saw it and couldn't be bothered to keep looking, so I got the part."
    That's kind of great. It speaks to why Roy seems to be so well written and acted, I guess: some sort of personal identity is wrapped up in him.
    Last edited by Macheath; 10-07-2021 at 11:47 PM.