Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

There's a Netflix Originals thread and I couldn't find an Amazon thread so I thought I'd create one.

Just tried to watch "Tom Clancy's Without Remorse" which is streaming on Amazon Prime.

If I describe the plot you'll likely infer the rating:

The Russian mob murders the pregnant wife of a top Navy Seal operative. He goes off the books to get revenge.

If I were making a joke about the most cliche action movie plot I couldn't do any better than that.

Now, I enjoy action movies, even dumb ones if they're done well, so I went into this with my eyes open.

Nope.

If I had to sum up this movie in a single word it would be "tedious." You know you're not enjoying a movie when you pause it to see how much more of it there is and you're not even halfway through.

The performances are wooden. The cinemetography is dark and murky. The dialog is flat. The characters are two dimensional. You honestly don't care who emerges from any given firefight.

So, if you're experiencing insomnia I recommend this movie.
    - Definitely

Sounds terrible!

In contrast, I'm currently absorbing INVINCIBLE, based on the comic series of the same name. I loved INVINCIBLE in print, it was compelling and (surprisingly) gory. The cartoon is the same way.

You might think we're oversaturated on "superheroes being assholes: the genre" after The Boys, Watchmen, and TFATWS... but nope! Still love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Sounds terrible!

In contrast, I'm currently absorbing INVINCIBLE, based on the comic series of the same name. I loved INVINCIBLE in print, it was compelling and (surprisingly) gory. The cartoon is the same way.

You might think we're oversaturated on "superheroes being assholes: the genre" after The Boys, Watchmen, and TFATWS... but nope! Still love it.
    I thought Invincible was great! Still don't know why Omni Man did it
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    I thought Invincible was great! Still don't know why Omni Man did it
    Did you... watch the finale? I feel like Nolan laid it out all pretty well in episode 8.

Still though, the show did a great job of not letting us know what the fuck was going on. Even as a comic reader I was impressed. There was a single, solitary clue.

Back in episode 2, when Omni-Man followed the Flaxans through their portal. "Earth isn't yours to conquer."

I got chills because I knew what it meant.

Show is great, man. Reeeeally great. Reminds me why I used to think Invincible was the best comic book ever published. Incredibly strong writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Did you... watch the finale? I feel like Nolan laid it out all pretty well in episode 8.
    Really? Maybe I'm being dense. I'll give it another watch.
    - Definitely

Well basically, Nolan's not a benevolent Superman alien. That's not who the Viltrumites are. They're hyper-violent, survival-of-the-fittest, galactic-empire-expanding genocide machines. If you were asking why Omni-Man would kill the Guardians of the Globe, that should be pretty clear: it's his JOB to weaken Earth's defenses and, ultimately, take it over. If you were asking why Omni-Man would attack Mark: he didn't. He wanted Mark to join him and help conquer Earth. Unfortunately, Mark's powers hit too late, and he'd developed too much of a human personality to be easily indoctrinated... therefore Nolan's approach required violence and shouting. If you were asking why Omni-Man fled the scene and cried his way off into space: Mark's protests clearly affected him more than he expected. If you were asking why Omni-Man would bother getting married and having a kid in the first place: that has not been answered yet in the show. There are more revelations coming.

It looks like I've missed a couple episodes. I think I watched through episode 6 and it seemed like they left some things up in the air but I figured it was just to make me want to watch season 2. Having already read the comics I wasn't super bothered and moved on to watching Mandalorian. Now I can come back and finish up the season.

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares but my wife and I have always been fan about the 90s sitcom Mad About You and have just finished up re-watching the show. They gave it the revival treatment and it's really enjoyable. If you don't like the show or haven't watched the original run, it's really not for you, it doesn't particularly stand on its own. It's definitely a marked improvement over the final season of the original show which suffered a great deal in the writing department and focused way too much on what, at the time, famous people they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I think I watched through episode 6 and it seemed like they left some things up in the air
    I hope you caught up. Upon further reflection, the last two episodes (7 and 8) are some of the best shit I've seen in a long time.

Episode 7 is Nolan making the decision to take action, and trying to get to Mark. Cecil spends everything he has to keep Nolan occupied, so he can try and get to Mark first. The Mauler Twins resurrect the Immortal, who immediately beelines for Nolan. The whole world watches in horror and confusion as Omni-Man murders the Immortal in broad daylight.

Holy shit, so much going on. And then episode 8 is nothing but Nolan beating the shit out of Mark and trying to convince him to go Full Viltrum, and somehow it's every bit as riveting as the previous episode.

Just two spectacularly-paced episodes of TV.

I just finished watching Undone.

It's a... sorta psychedelic comedy/drama, featuring a cel-shaded style similar to A Scanner Darkly. It's about a woman who gets into a car accident and discovers she has time travel powers. Trippy and fun, just 8 short episodes, so you can check a couple out and see how you feel about it. I enjoyed it.