Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now Streaming on Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    There's a Netflix Originals thread and I couldn't find an Amazon thread so I thought I'd create one.

Just tried to watch "Tom Clancy's Without Remorse" which is streaming on Amazon Prime.

If I describe the plot you'll likely infer the rating:

The Russian mob murders the pregnant wife of a top Navy Seal operative. He goes off the books to get revenge.

If I were making a joke about the most cliche action movie plot I couldn't do any better than that.

Now, I enjoy action movies, even dumb ones if they're done well, so I went into this with my eyes open.

Nope.

If I had to sum up this movie in a single word it would be "tedious." You know you're not enjoying a movie when you pause it to see how much more of it there is and you're not even halfway through.

The performances are wooden. The cinemetography is dark and murky. The dialog is flat. The characters are two dimensional. You honestly don't care who emerges from any given firefight.

So, if you're experiencing insomnia I recommend this movie.
    I also watched this expecting a cheesy action flick for some light entertainment. When their plane got shot down over enemy waters and everyone was struggling to escape I shut the movie off and went to bed because I was bored. I did manage to finish it the next night hoping for a good ending and I was disappointed. Horribly cliche, lame story, uninspired acting ... don't waste your time.

Honestly the most interesting part to me was the black female Seal Team leader. When I got bored I kept thinking, damn that lady must have gone through some shit to lead a seal team. They should make a movie about her!

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    Honestly the most interesting part to me was the black female Seal Team leader. When I got bored I kept thinking, damn that lady must have gone through some shit to lead a seal team. They should make a movie about her!
    They should make a movie where her family gets murdered by the Russian mob. Then they should have a scene where she tells her team about it and they all nod in agreement as if it just sort of normal for Navy Seals to have their families killed by the Russian mob.
    Last edited by RainMan; 07-21-2021 at 08:51 PM.
    - Definitely

I had a long plane ride so I managed to finally get around to watching The Tomorrow War.

Starring Chris Pratt with several appearances by J.K. Simmons, this is a Sci-Fi thriller which is essentially Aliens meets Edge of Tomorrow meets Starship Troopers.

The plot is basically that aliens have overrun Earth and the human race is on the edge of going extinct. They (barely) have the technology to go back in time 30 years and get people to fight to save the human race.

These aliens are no joke. They're strong, they're fast, and they shoot little spikes at bullet speeds. They are pretty much mindless killers which swarm and have a queen of sorts.

This movie is pretty darned intense. The action just doesn't let up for the first third of the movie. It's not high art but it's pretty fun to watch. Chris Pratt and J.K. Simmons are, unsurprisingly, quite good in it.

Some nits for those who've seen it:

Okay, how does a highly experienced special ops guy like Pratt's character go this long without being drafted when they're drafting civilians and sending them in like cannon fodder with almost no training or conditioning?

If the aliens are that hard to kill you'd think that we'd come up with better weapons against them than small arms. I mean if soldiers are emptying clips into these things and they don't go down (unless you hit one of their special places) then why keep sending people in with ineffective weapons? They seem to be vulnerable to fire. Why not have flame throwers figure into the mix of weapons a bit more? At the very least you'd think that 30 years into the future we'd have better aiming technology which could help soldiers target their throats and bellies. It took 3 years for these things to get to this point. I'd like to think that we can adapt weapons and tactics faster than that.

Really? Hand to hand combat with a claw? I like the poetic justice but considering the fact that one of these things can throw around a group of trained soldiers like toys makes that a little far fetched.

Okay, I get that the military is a big unwieldy machine sometimes but I think if the race is facing extinction and the solution is available (the "toxin") I doubt they'd just throw up their hands and say "nope!"

Along the same lines, if you find the actual spaceship it's dumb to take it on yourselves. Really dumb. World endingly dumb. By fighting it themselves they risked setting these things loose on the Earth 30 years early. That's just dumb. No, you send experts to get an accurate read on exactly how many of these creatures are there and then you drown them in the toxin. You also keep a safeguarded tank of the toxin available in case you missed some. Those guys were cowboys and almost cost the human race its existence.

And a few things I liked:

I liked the fact that they at least tried to cut down on obvious paradoxes by only drafting people already dead at the time they're going to, and only sending back people who haven't been born yet. I also liked the "two rafts" thing which avoids the "oops, let's try that again" problem with time travel.

I liked the exchanges between Pratt's character and his daughter.

It was silly, but I actually liked the scene with the volcano obsessed kid.

I liked the alien ripping the toxin-infected limb off his body with the subsequent "I did not see that coming" reaction.

- Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    I had a long plane ride so I managed to finally get around to watching The Tomorrow War.
    I keep forgetting this exists. I'm gonna watch it, maybe tonight. Let's get it done boys.

Once you've watched The Tomorrow War, give this video a watch. It's a fun movie and definitely worth watching, but there are some plot holes.

- Definitely

I just finished. Pretty good, fun movie, did a good job building tension in a few scenes. Very weird pacing at times, probably too long, tried to do too much. Kinda stuck between serious sci-fi action and Big Dumb Movie. But overall I enjoyed it.

Also, just try and tell me those aliens weren't albino displacer beasts.