Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Disney needs to take the Marvel writing methodology and apply it to Star Wars. It seems like the Marvel process "gets it" and makes better movies. This whole give it to one guy and let him express his artistic vision is not working. The Star Wars universe is too big and broadly "owned" by the fans. I just don't want to blindly follow some guy's vision of the story. There are good stories, the trick is sussing them out and providing some focus. No, I don't mean I want them to pander to the masses, but there are many stories (books) written by fans over the last thirty years that you could literally cherry pick for the best parts and knit it into THE Star Wars cannon. But no, their all "we're taking this in a new direction!" :ugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Why is a weak villain a bad villain? I don't understand people who complain about Kylo Ren. Not every villain has to be a perfect intellectual, concocting perfect plots... or the perfect combat technician, or even competent. Flawed villains, deeply flawed villains, can be good for a story. Exciting villains are fun to root for, I like them too. But Walter White was full of himself. Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg was a total weenie. Joffrey sucked in too many ways to count. I hate them all, but they're great villains and they serve their stories well.
    I should clarify. I don't mean "weak" in the sense of "Geez what a wuss!" I mean weak in the sense that he's directionless, ineffectual, and ultimately not that much of a threat.

Kylo Ren fancies himself the heir to Darth Vader, but he's just a simpering fool. That's better for a henchman than a villain.
    - Definitely

I see. Agree that Kylo Ren is ineffectual, but it still doesn't bother me too much.

In fact, at this point I'm thinking of him as (potentially) similar to Kefka from Final Fantasy 6. If you're not familiar, he was essentially a court jester and a spineless cretin for the whole first half of the game, then at a crucial point he betrays his Emperor, sucks up a bunch of power, cracks the world into pieces, and ascends to godhood in the second half of the game. One of the best villains ever.

Will we be so lucky as to see a similar transformation from Kylo Ren in the third movie? Oh, probably not, but the pieces are sure there. He literally did the same thing as Kefka, killing Snoke and taking over the whole First Order, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    I see. Agree that Kylo Ren is ineffectual, but it still doesn't bother me too much.
    I'm not sure why, but that reminded me of one more moment in SW:TLJ that I liked:
    Take off that ridiculous mask
    - Definitely

I just saw The Kingsmen: The Golden Circle. I really enjoyed the first one and wanted to like this one so much. It has it's moments, but overall just seemed overly silly to a fault. I mean, the first one had heads blowing up in multi-colored little mushroom clouds like fireworks, so it's not like it was a pillar of reality or anything, but I just couldn't suspend the amount of disbelief required to relax and enjoy this one near as much.

I'd give is 2 out of 5 Elton John platform heels.

I also just saw TLJ yesterday with my 8 year old. She thought it was great, but I just couldn't get past the forced comedy bit. I mean, there are funny scenes in the first 3 movies, but they fit. They felt like natural things that would happen or be said by the characters that just happened to get a chuckle out of me. This had genuine slap stick all over in it for no good reason. They just kept yanking me out of the movie. Stupid general guy says something to piss off Kylo and gets slammed into the wall so pilot just says, "Yep, whatever you say sir." The perfectly basted little bird thing that Chewy was gonna eat, but didn't cause the other one stared at him in terror. Why was that even in this?

Ultimately, I think they tried too hard to just hit all the notes that they thought people liked about the originals without really finding a solid thread of a story to build around. It's just a series of excuses to send money to ILM.

The bit where Poe stalls the entire Imperial Fleet by pretending he's on hold was hilarious, but would have fit better in goddamned Robot Chicken.

That said, if you consider the entire First Order (Hux and Kylo Ren included) to be a bunch of pathetic Palpatine/Vader/Empire fanboys, it makes perfect sense.

You know, that felt like something the character would do so that didn't bother me near as much. Plus it was right at the beginning so I wasn't completely bitter quite yet.

I liked the stalling bit, the part that killed me was waiting for the bombs to .. drop .. due .. to .. gravity. Fuck you. I like hearing explosions in space movies, but gorram bombs falling onto the ship below is where I draw the line.

Administrator
    i was OK with the bombs falling. true physics has never ever been a thing in the Star Wars universe - everybody walks around on the "floor" of space ships, there's always blaster sounds and explosion sounds when they are in open space, and every large space ship happens to have very very massive space ship docking bay doors that are just kind of permanently left open even though there are guys walking around (on the "floor" of course) like there's not a lack of breathable air or life-sustaining temperatures, all planets have a perfectly breathable atmosphere and exactly the same gravity, the list goes on and on