Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    It's shocking to think that this movie was directed by Ron Howard. He must have been brought in at the 11th hour, or maybe the studio interfered too much with the movie, or something. I hate to think he'd just phone in a movie like this.
    Yeah, I guess things were so completely off the rails last year, they halted production for 4 months or so, then brought in Howard to "save the day" in June. Less than a year ago. Lots of reshoots since then. That said, Ron Howard has no discernible style, I'm usually surprised when I find out a movie was directed by him. He probably tried to keep the movie in roughly the same style it already had.

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    I think the Star Wars franchise needs to completely stop with the "fill in the gaps" prequels. That forces the plot to meet up with certain set points and that makes those moments seem completely forced.

"Oh hey, he met Chewie! Oh hey, he met Lando! Oh hey, he just saw the Millennium Falcon! Oh yeah, he won it in a card game!" ZZZZZZZZZZZ
    You pretty much just described 50% of my issues with Rogue One. And 100% of my issues with the latest season of Game of Thrones.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Ultimate Shrug. Luke is a character, not a person. I guess this is what the character is now. You don't know Luke or how he would act. Neither does Mark Hamill. These emotional ideas are based on years of mental constructs we've decided to hold dear, not anything that actually occurred on screen. Now we know more, because a movie told us more. You're free to dislike it, but people should quit whining about #NotMyLuke. Mark Hamill knew it was just a movie; ultimately he said "eh, fuck it, pay me and of course we'll do it your way."

Sorry, I guess TLJ has me feeling nihilistic about all this.
    Just watched this video, and it has me feeling bad about the above quote. Last Jedi was such a fuckfest, it had me full of sour grapes... but yeah, they really screwed up Luke's character, and I get it.

And now, for equal time on the other side:

I saw Upgrade yesterday, and it was really good. Intense sci-fi action. It's about a guy who's injured in an attack which also claims his wife's life, who subsequently seeks revenge. It's a revenge movie. Horrifying, funny, doesn't make you think very much but that's okay. The action was extremely unique, and the movie had a really good ending. The cast was a bunch of unknowns, aside from the main character, who's a relatively minor star (I only remember him being in Prometheus).