Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too worried about it. While I'm no gore aficionado it usually doesn't bother me. I feel like there's obvious potential gore with a platform moving between levels and very hungry people. Especially with Cube mentioned along with it.

I just saw Hamilton, and IMHO .... meh.

I should say that I generally have a problem with modern musicals. It seems like the actual music isn't as important as I think it should be. I think a musical should have songs that stand on their own as songs. Whenever I say that to people who **loved** some given musical like Les Miserables they respond with, "but the story was so great." If the story was so great, why put it to music if the music doesn't matter as much?

I found the rap portions of the music extremely clever, but I'm definitely in the wrong demographic for that to have any emotional impact on me.

I did think the songs sung by King George were funny and entertaining.

But most of it was the sort of bland musical delivery of prose I see in most modern musicals. I forget those songs as I hear them.

I will admit that my sample size is very small. I haven't seen musicals like Cats, Lion King, Phantom, or Rent. Maybe they're better.

Before you conclude that I'm simply dead inside, here are some musicals I feel have songs which stand on their own as songs:

West Side Story
    Oklahoma
    The Sound of Music
    Mary Poppins
    Fiddler on the Roof
    HMS Pinafore

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now.

In each of those I can pick out a song or two that are memorable. To me that's the measure of a good musical. Does it tell a story with good, and not throwaway, music?

Will anybody be singing any songs from Hamilton in 20 years? I doubt it.

Flibbeldy Floo!! Get off my lawn!!
    Last edited by RainMan; 07-04-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    - Definitely

This is the rap I wish was in Hamilton

- Definitely

I just watched The Vast of Night on Amazon, and IMHO it was charming, nearly riveting. The first 15 minutes or so are kinda slow, but then it got its hooks into me and I couldn't look away. Everett and Fay are well written, well acted characters, and the movie's overall feel reminded me kinda of Pontypool. At least in terms of presentation; this wasn't horror, more like sci-fi and suspense. Unique and worth a watch!