Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

I just saw Ralph Breaks the Internet, and IMHO it was kinda balls. Had a few good parts, but mostly it was paced badly, written boringly, and less relatable than the first one. The little short that plays during the end credits was the funniest thing in the movie:

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody last weekend and it was fabulous. It seemed a little too light weight a few times when the subjects probably were more fraught and emotional. There could have been way more sex & drugs, but they kept it tame while making it clear that sex & drugs were happening. I took my 11 yo who loved it, but it wasn't too vulgar, which was nice.

There were several excellent scenes from the stage that gave the impression of being the musicians and how that might have felt.

Give it a go, I'll probably watch it again.

Against my better judgement I went to see Aquaman because, you know, it's after Christmas.

I can say it lived up to my expectations, which were very low.

True to DC movie form, it looked great, but as a movie, was a bit of a mess. Once again, too many villains, and none that are particularly interesting. One of the villains gives you the very slightest whiff of a motivation, and then you hear nothing about it for the rest of the movie.

And, for good measure, yet another pointless superhero fist fight where nobody can be hurt.

Watching DC movies really makes me appreciate Marvel movies.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    Watching DC movies really makes me appreciate Marvel movies.
    Agree.

I just watched Bird Box and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (both Netflix originals).

Bird Box was pretty good. Although it was hard not to think of A Quiet Place while I watched, I think they're different enough to each deserve their own spot in the, uh, oeuvre. The creature-based post-apocalyptic sensory-deprivation subgenre. Sure. Anyway, Bird Box was pretty good.

Buster Scruggs was great. I probably knew, but forgot, that it was a collection of short stories. So by the time the first (of six) was starting to wind down, I was already fully torqued and ready for 2+ hours of that story. Then I realized it was over, and the next one was starting. Luckily, they were all good. I think the first and last were my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Agree.

I just watched ... and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (both Netflix originals).

Buster Scruggs was great. I probably knew, but forgot, that it was a collection of short stories. So by the time the first (of six) was starting to wind down, I was already fully torqued and ready for 2+ hours of that story. Then I realized it was over, and the next one was starting. Luckily, they were all good. I think the first and last were my favorites.
    100% agree. Some of the stories are silly and fun, some are dark, dark, dark, and some are poignant. I expect nothing less out of the Coen brothers.
    - Definitely

I just watched The Lobster on Netflix, and The Killing of a Sacred Deer on Amazon. It's been a weird weekend thanks to Yorgos Lanthimos. Nobody makes movies like this, feels like Stanley Kubrick and David Lynch had a baby, then that baby was raised by aliens.

The Lobster is about a world where single people (divorced, widowed, or just single) go to a hotel, where they have 45 days to meet someone to be with, otherwise they're turned into an animal. Strange premise, and it only gets stranger from there. It had some disturbing scenes, and the mechanically wooden acting (seems to be a Lanthimos trademark) gives the whole movie a detached, creepy vibe.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is about a doctor who has a strange relationship (friendship? father/sonship?) with a former patient's son. Things get odd. Hard to give many more details, since when the movie's plot gets rolling it's immediately in spoiler territory. But it's intense. More robotic acting, more disturbing scenes.

These movies are so unique, it's like they're in their own genre. I enjoyed both, but you need to be in the right mood. I might check out Dogtooth at some point, but I need to let my brain recover first.

Reminds me of the weekend I spent checking out Panos Cosmatos (Mandy = great, Beyond the Black Rainbow = boring).

I'm watching Velvet Buzzsaw on Netflix right now, and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it all the way through. I'm bored as hell. Great cast, I love Jake Gyllenhaal, and the last time he and Dan Gilroy made a movie together it was goddamn Nightcrawler -- so I'm surprised -- but yeah, this is not really my thing.

EDIT: Finished it. Totally mediocre. Bleh.
    Last edited by Macheath; 02-06-2019 at 12:31 AM.

I just saw Doubt (2008) on Natflax, and wowwww, that's some intense drama. It was a EDIT: Pulitzer prize-winning Broadway play first, apparently. And then they got Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman to come in and kick the shit out of the film version, so it's hard to go wrong there. One of those movies that might not grab your attention immediately, but at some point you'll find yourself glued to the screen, hanging on every word. Real good.