Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Yeah, it sucked. I like the effects, and I like Lynn Collins' midriff. That's about it. :snore:

Just watched I Am Mother on Netflix, and I thought it was pretty good! If you like sci-fi about robots and AI, and mysteries about ambiguous bad guys who might be good guys but also might be bad guys, you may enjoy this.

There seem to be some plot holes for the first half or so, but there's a twist at the end that makes the whole movie look like one giant setup. Clever stuff. Mother raised Daughter to be a perfect, selfless human who would rebel and then spend the rest of her life raising new generations of perfect, selfless humans. We created an AI to love us and keep us safe, and it did exactly that.

I just saw Yesterday and IMHO it was cute.

This movie is kind of one big love letter to Beatles songs. The premise is that a musician gets knocked out and wakes up in an alternate reality where nobody has ever heard of the Beatles, and they weren't ever a thing. So, from memory he "writes" their songs and becomes famous for it.

One of the really good decisions they made was to not bother with much establishment of the premise. That would have been tedious.

Another really good decision was casting Kate McKinnon as the parasitic music industry executive. Her over the top performance was just right in this movie.

One of the bad decisions they made was to not better explore what that would really be like. Is the nature of music truly absolute? Would Beatles songs really be so well embraced today if nobody had ever heard them before? Also, what would popular music be like today if the Beatles had never existed? Would today's music industry really embrace an unknown just because he has good songs? Would they embrace some of the Beatles' songs which were more experimental in nature? Sadly, they didn't bother with any of that.

For example, when the main character is first searching the internet for "The Beatles" to confirm that they aren't a thing anymore, he sees that The Rolling Stones are still a big thing. In my opinion, without the Beatles, the Rolling Stones wouldn't have amounted to much. The Beatles gave them huge amounts of help early on.

Also, the main character has massive fame suddenly thrust upon him and they didn't explore the effects of that much either.

All of that said, however, if you're a Beatles fan you'll enjoy this movie. If you dislike the Beatles you should avoid this movie. You should also get your head examined, but that's another discussion. If you've never heard of the Beatles, then skip this movie and go seek out a good documentary about them first. Then, if you like what you see and hear, maybe come back to this movie.
    - Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan View Post
    One of the bad decisions they made was to not better explore what that would really be like. Is the nature of music truly absolute? Would Beatles songs really be so well embraced today if nobody had ever heard them before? Also, what would popular music be like today if the Beatles had never existed? Would today's music industry really embrace an unknown just because he has good songs? Would they embrace some of the Beatles' songs which were more experimental in nature?
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da...

the fuck is this, reggae? get out of my office

I just finished season one of "The Terror" from AMC, on Hulu. It's based on a novel (of the same name) by Dan Simmons, and I liked it a lot. I gather they're turning it into an anthology series, where each season tells a different story, so obviously they completed the Simmons novel but they're continuing under the name. Which is a little weird, but okay.

Anyway, it's about a pair of icebreaker ships in the mid-19th century who are trying to find a Northwest Passage through the Arctic. It does not go well. There's naval stuff, there's scurvy, there's lashings and mutinies and captains, there's eskimos and supernatural stuff, there's lots of very cold people at all times. I give it an 8/10. I really enjoyed it.
    Attached Images Attached Images