Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Quote Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
    Man, you've had a Very Movie Month.
    Now that you mention it, I really have. And I haven't even mentioned the latest Star Wars movie. That's probably because I'm deciding if it's worth posting "meh".
    - Definitely

Okay, I guess it is.

I just saw Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker and IMHO it was, well, meh.

In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I never really recovered from episodes I through III. Those and Lucas' incessant fiddling with IV through VI pretty much soured me on the entire franchise forever.

I tried very hard to give the latest installments a fair shake. The were definitely better than I - III. How could they not be?

Anyway, let's talk about IX.

First of all I'm going to say it again: I am SICK TO DEATH of scenes where ships navigate an impossible field of obstacles. It's the Star Wars equivalent to a car chase scene where they run into fruit stands on the sidewalk.

Now on to the actual movie. The rumors you've heard that this movie is chock full of "fan service" are absolutely true. There are some real eye rolling moments in this movie.

The "force connection" theme is carried on in this film. They actually explore how each person in the connection might use it to their advantage, so that was a little interesting.

There were some things which took me out of the movie, though:

Seeing Carrie Fisher have more than a cameo: I kept thinking, "Is that CGI or recycled footage?" The answer is the latter. Bad decision to have her in the film. It's distracting.
    Kylo Ren magically becomes good after Rey uses her magic healing powers to heal his being stabbed right through with a light saber. Man, that's just stupid. Come on guys, do a little writing.

For me, however, this movie suffers from the same thing that VII and VIII suffered from: I didn't care about the characters. I really didn't care whether Rey or Kylo won. I didn't care about the super hot shot pilot guy or the former storm trooper guy. Ultimately I had no stake in the plot of this movie so I was pretty much waiting for it to end.

They did do some things well, though. The swordplay was entertaining and convincing. They minimized the "Oh isn't BB-8 precious" moments. The zillions of star destroyers waiting to be deployed was cool.

My first reaction after coming out of the theater was to give it a B-. After thinking about it more, I give it a C+.

Oh wait, I forgot a huge thing I need to comment on:
    Really? Palpatine is the villain? He somehow avoided real death and is the one pulling the strings? So, what, Snoke was nobody? Palpatine is really Voldemort, I suppose. Death should mean something, and I guess it doesn't in Star Wars. Dumb.
    Last edited by RainMan; 12-27-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    - Definitely

I wasn't too bothered by Palpatine's return. I like him, he's a good villain. But with all the incredible amounts of shit they packed into this movie (it was edited like a goddamn music video) they somehow did not bother to include any of his backstory. I would have loved to see a minute or two of him surviving the explosion of Death Star II, crawling out of the wreckage, reuniting with his little Sith Gremlins and firing up the old Star Destroyer Oven. Instead... he just appears. It's so abrupt, I actually wondered if it was a dream sequence.

Like if you don't notice the Snoke-parts sitting in a clone vat, you just won't know Palpatine literally created Snoke. That shit should be more than an Easter egg.

NOTE: all of the above spoilers are for the first 5 minutes of the movie. Cool your tits.

I just saw The Lighthouse and IMHO it was beautifully shot, incredibly well acted, and that's about it. If you're in the mood to watch two lighthouse keepers descend into inscrutable chthonic madness, this movie might be for you. If not... well, it was beautifully shot and incredibly well acted. It deserves a ton of accolades. You just need to be in the right mood.

I also just saw One Cut of the Dead and IMHO it was by far the superior movie. It's a small spoiler to say that the first 30 minutes are a one-shot film about a director making a one-shot zombie movie. But then it goes in another direction, and the next hour is the story of the making of that film. It's enough meta to make your head spin, but you will laugh your shit out watching everything unfold. It's an 11 out of 10 experience, some of the cleverest shit I've ever seen, and I can't wait to show it to all my friends.
    Last edited by Macheath; 12-28-2019 at 11:29 PM.

I just saw Parasite and IMHO it was pretty damn good. It won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay, so I was finally motivated to get off my ass and watch. And... it was unique, I've never seen anything exactly like it. Definitely black comedy. Borderline thriller/horror territory, and you won't get many belly laughs out of it. But black comedy rarely gives those. Nothing like what I expected. Worth a watch, though, if you want to see something well crafted and (for once) original as hell.

I just saw The Call of the Wild and IMHO it was good. Not great, but good.

They use CGI to simulate "Buck" the dog who's the main character. They almost emerged from the uncanny valley. Almost. There are times where the dog is a little cartoonish.

There were also times where the dog was a little too smart. I mean, the dog pretty much understood spoken english. That's fine for a Pixar or Dreamworks movie, but when you're doing a classic, it's not so good.

Harrison Ford is competent, but not inspiring, in his role.

There were some times that brought you out of the movie. A dog can't lift a huge tree out of the water, and a doc certainly can't catch a club in his teeth mid-swing

They also glossed over some important establishing material which results in you not really caring that deeply for the characters.

The movie had some good moments in it too. Overall it was reasonably watchable. I give it a solid C+ which means watch it, but wait for it to become available on Netflix/Amazon Prime/Disney+/whatever
    - Definitely

I just saw Ravenous on Netflix and IMHO it was an uncommonly beautiful zombie movie. Well shot, deliberately paced (in a relaxing way, not a boring way), and some incredibly inventive scenes I haven't seen done before.

Probably my favorite bit of originality was: the zombies were doing something. Yes, they're a brainless, face-biting force of nature, but they also have some kind of motivation. The movie's living characters don't understand, and neither do we as the audience. The zombies themselves probably don't even understand. It's unfathomable behavior. But it's exactly the sort of thing I could imagine zombies doing, while they're not chewing on somebody's leg. A sort of leftover reflex from life, neurons shattered and lizard brain running the show for reasons it can't comprehend, helplessly piloting a meat ship through the apocalypse. Weird and beautiful.