Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: I just saw *****, and IMHO ............

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    I liked the stalling bit, the part that killed me was waiting for the bombs to .. drop .. due .. to .. gravity. Fuck you. I like hearing explosions in space movies, but gorram bombs falling onto the ship below is where I draw the line.
    It bothered me that the blaster shots hitting the rebel fleet from First Order were arcing like a cannon shot. Unless there was black hole really nearby, of course

Quote Originally Posted by brien View Post
    i was OK with the bombs falling. ...
    I guess the fact that they hung a five minute scene on this horribly flawed notion gave me time to stew over it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnod View Post
    It bothered me that the blaster shots hitting the rebel fleet from First Order were arcing like a cannon shot. Unless there was black hole really nearby, of course
    I didn't notice this one. +1 nerd credit for gnod.

I noticed it... but I shuffled it straight to the back of my mind like Brien. Star Wars has always been more "fantasy" than "science fiction." Why in the everloving fuck would you use a laser sword? This is Napoleonic-era pirate ship combat with an orange planet and a pink nebula slapped on top.

I saw TLJ over the weekend and I feel exactly the same as what has been echoed here - underwhelming and the movie just felt really long and boring at times. I feel like nothing really happened for a very long time. On the good side the theater replaced all their seats with nice motorized recliners so I was comfortably bored.

Quote Originally Posted by bret View Post
    I was comfortably bored.
    Worst Pink Floyd song EVAR!
    - Definitely

I just watched Infinity Chamber on Netflix, and it was a little low-budget, but pretty good. It's about a dude who wakes up in a futuristic prison and has hallucinations because his robot jailer is a dick!

I just saw Black Panther, and IMHO it lives up to the hype. I'm not much of a comic book guy so I can't really say how close it was to the comic books, but as a movie it was great.

The premise of a hyper advanced civilization hidden in the middle of Africa is a little silly, just like Wonder Woman's hidden island of Amazons. Maybe that would survive in the 1800's, but it couldn't after that. However, that really winds up being a pretty small nit to pick.

This movie checks all the Marvel movie checkboxes:
    - Well developed characters
    - An interesting villain
    - Just one villain, not three or four
    - Gorgeous cinematography
    - A little humor, but not enough to ruin the whole vibe

Things I didn't like:

The ending: If a civilization with technology centuries ahead of the rest of the world decides to just suddenly share all that technology with the world, chaos will reign. If that civilization decides to slowly share that technology, they had better reserve weapons technology for themselves because it's only a matter of time until somebody decides that they're not sharing fast enough.
    Klaue was killed a little too easily. This hyper advanced culture with spies in every country had been hunting him for decades, and this one guy on his own found him and shot him?
    I'm not sure how I feel about Vibranium being this magic metal that can do anything. Kind of makes Captain America's shield seem like a waste of vibranium.

Things I liked:

The bad guy: First of all he wasn't 100% bad. His reasons for doing what he was doing were understandable. I can see where someone could think that it's wrong to just hoard all your prosperity and technology for yourself.
    The African vibe of the movie: They did a great job of creating this whole advanced culture but keeping an African vibe to it.
    Klaue was played brilliantly by Andy Serkis (aka Gollum/Smeagol).
    Vibranium rhinos - They definitely need to show up in future battle scenes.
    The hero changed his mind because of the villain's actions.

This is a very visual movie so it's worth seeing it on the big screen.
    - Definitely

I just saw "Isle of Dogs", and IMHO it was great.

My expectations going in weren't very high. I figured it was going to be another Disney-esque animal themed rescue movie; pleasant but forgettable.

I didn't realize that Wes Anderson did it.

The whole movie has this awesome faux-Japanese legend vibe that's interesting in and of itself. The tone of the movie is muted rather than in your face. They actually spend a lot of time developing the characters. There's some cartoon silliness but it doesn't distract.

The voices are an all-star cast including Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, F. Murray Abraham, Scarlett Johannson, and on and on.

I recommend this movie.
    - Definitely

I just watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and it was fantastic. I really didn't look into the movie at all before I watched it and didn't even know if it was based on a true story or not it's not but it was fantastic. Francis McDormand and Sam Rockwell both earned their well-deserved Oscar's from this movie. I saw it described as "Darkly Comic" and I would have to agree. More than once my wife and I were awkwardly laughing about something that felt terrible to laugh at. Woody Harrelson does a great job and Peter Dinklage is in it too in a well acted small heh role.

I get it 3 flaming billboards out of 3.

I just saw "Solo: A Star Wars Story", and IMHO it was utterly unessential.

I have to write this review quickly before I completely forget everything about this movie.

Where to begin? Forgettable characters, forgettable action, forgettable plot, forgettable and performances.

It's shocking to think that this movie was directed by Ron Howard. He must have been brought in at the 11th hour, or maybe the studio interfered too much with the movie, or something. I hate to think he'd just phone in a movie like this.

I think the Star Wars franchise needs to completely stop with the "fill in the gaps" prequels. That forces the plot to meet up with certain set points and that makes those moments seem completely forced.

"Oh hey, he met Chewie! Oh hey, he met Lando! Oh hey, he just saw the Millennium Falcon! Oh yeah, he won it in a card game!" ZZZZZZZZZZZ

I spotted this in my previous review of The Last Jedi:

- Please, guys, no more scenes of the Millennium Falcon weaving through obstacles at high speed chased by Tie fighters only to squeeze through an impossibly tight gap causing the Tie fighters to crash and blow up. It might be more original to have them all fly through fruit stands on the street of a major city instead.
    My request, it seems, has been denied. They do seem to have cut way back on the cutesy animals, though. There was only one and they killed him.

Here's the short version of my review: If you're home bored and you happen to see this scroll by on Netflix maybe give it a watch while you're doing a load of laundry or something. Otherwise, give it a miss.

On the plus side, however, I did see this in a theater that had fancy recliners. So, like Mac, I was comfortably bored.
    - Definitely