Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: HBO - Game of Thrones

wew neet

Can't help but feel a bit disappointed by the first 2 episodes of season seven. And I mean, there's only 7 episodes this season, so that's more than 25% of it right there.

Everything seems... robotic, prescribed, obligatory. Person A meets Person B, and they have Conversation C. There are no surprises during the conversation, and everything seems to be incessantly spelled out. No subtlety or implication, nothing even happens off-screen. The acting is still fine, but the writing is very "by the numbers."

For example... Varys had a very good speech in episode 2 when Daenerys confronted him about his loyalty. It was well acted. But why did that scene even happen? Varys met Dany at the same time as Tyrion, if memory serves, in the end of season five. Then they spent all of season six chumming around, during which Varys traveled around the world making deals (on Dany's behalf) with Greyjoys, Martells, and Tyrells, then he headed back to Meereen and hopped on a ship with Dany and turned around to go back to Westeros again (???) and land at Dragonstone... and then one of the writers went "oh shit it's season seven and we never had Dany properly confront Varys, well, we better do that now I guess."

There are other examples. Dany's whole business meeting at Dragonstone was eyeroll-worthy. Cersei and Euron's meeting had some nice moments, but no surprises. Every one of Jon's scenes has limped along. Jaime and Randyll Tarly had a predictable conversation this week. Arya's checking things off a list (kill Walder, meet Hot Pie, learn about Jon, meet Nymeria) but none of it feels interesting. Even the Hound was kind of boring last week.

Either the show's getting tired, or I'm getting tired of it. Or they ran out of George material and now they've got nothing.

I agree with your assessment of the first 2 episodes, but episode 4 felt like them giving me everything I wanted from this show, and I'm OK with that. It's probably not the direction George would have gone (or will be going) but I'm loving it.

DRAGONGLASS!

SPOILER: Major revelation from last night's episode!

I actually noticed this immediately, because I am a genius. Oooh, so now we know Prince Rhaegar was married to Lyanna Stark! My wife understood the implications. So he isn't a bastard? Nope. In fact, Jon Snow now has the most legitimate claim to the Iron Throne, as the firstborn son of the firstborn son of Aerys Targaryen. Neat!

Oh man, it's a whole D&D party!
    Attached Images Attached Images