Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift

Rift

Just saw a commercial for this game so I decided to check it out. Looks pretty cool and what they say you can do in the game sounds great. Wish I had time to mess with an MMO right now to find out. Anyone out there considering this one?

http://www.riftgame.com/en/index.php

I was invited to the 3rd Beta event. Its pretty awesome from what I played of it.
    It takes all the good stuff of a bunch of different MMO's and wraps it all into one. I think I may get it, but who knows?
    I can honestly say that I don't know how to hack.

But if you're lying I will learn, hack your computer for a location, and fly/drive/jet-ski to your location and brutally murder you.

And when I'm brought to trial I will present this thread and be acquitted of all charges.

Hey guys what's

*scans page for mention of 'MMO' keyword*

Never mind.

Anybody playing this? What little I've heard is actually kinda interesting. Like, whatever you're doing, questing or crafting or PVP, you drop it and help fight off these "invasions" that happen periodically, or else the rifts open up wide and take over the whole zone, and your precious quest NPCs are gone until you fix the problem DON'T YOU FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT NOW

On the other hand, I've heard that if a rift opens up and there aren't enough people there to fight it off, it can take like 45 minutes to do so. Which isn't real enticing.

Here's a VIP beta code I got last week that can be used 24 times, they say. I think it gets you into the next event automatically, but I don't really know.

MQQE-JLRN-7F9F-XRFW-TWEL

It is, so far, a decent game as mmos go. Here's my quickie/longy with WoW comparisons thrown in...

Graphics-wise it's less cartoony than WoW, but not as realistic as Lotro(Lotro has water reflections, etc). It seems pretty system hoggy for the crappy fps it puts out too. I have a nvidia 460 and I have to run at low to stay at 60 fps Med with 30 fps is typical. I'm gonna fiddle around with some settings and whatnot, but 20 fps in the empty capital is kinda dumb.

Crafting/gathering- kind of a mishmash between Lotro and WoW. I would have figured they would have done one better than those games, or at least taken the best from both, but they didn't exactly. Simply put- there's too much "bag crap" whether you're gathering or crafting. For example- you can break apart gear to recover crafting mats. You get something you normally use(a bar) and something you don't normally use (some bits). There's one item I can use the bits for like 60 skill points later- when I'm making shit using the next higher ore. If you really get into crafting, then it's probably fine. I generally liked Lotro's crafting and this is on equal footing complexity-wise(minus needing 2 different characters to supply your single trade). In the end it's no better or worse than most crafting systems.

Class system- (skip to the class TLDR if you don't want details).There is certainly a lot of potential combinations (akin to Titan Quest). You basically pick along what type of armor you're going to wear(and some basical role premises) when you create your character. There are 4 classes- warrior(plate), cleric(mail), thief(leather), mage(cloth). Within each class there are 9 souls- each soul is essentially a talent tree in WoW terms. You start with 1 soul and quickly get quests that give you 2 more. You can combine 3 of them together to make a "role". And eventually you can have up to 4 roles. Each soul has a focus(offense, defense, healing, support) and classes usually have 2+ souls for each focus- except warriors don't have any healing souls and mages don't have any defensive souls. This means rogues and clerics can make tanks. Mages and rogues can make healers. Everyone can dps. (until you get to the forums, of course, and see posts where former WoW warriors are telling clerics they should heal, not tank or dps... sound familiar?)

As you level, you get points to put into your souls. When you put points into a soul, you get the active ability that you're buying plus bonus abilities based off how many total points are in the soul. You can probably guess where blizzard got their idea for revising trees for cata to include passive bonuses that grew with the points invested in each tree. However- Bliz decided it would make for a more complicated system and went an easier route.

With a huge amount of combinations, however, comes a huge amount of balance issues. How do you balance someone taking 2 offensive souls and 1 defensive soul and cherry picking the best abilities out of each? Or 1 healing, 1 defensive, and 1 offensive? It's not as simple as "everyone can do it so it's balanced". Some spec's are just wonky. Like... okay... I found a sweet (read OP) warrior build. And it seems cool and will eventually rock(read not exactly OP early on). But like... this build's attacks don't benefit from attack power (like most warrior builds do) or spell power(like casters do). They only benefit from physical crit even though the main attacks are spells. Err... what? Yeah. It's kinda dumb. But I like the soul and the theme of the build I have.

Class System TLDR- Lots of options and lots of bugs/balance issues. It's pretty wide-open and that means they are going to forever be fixing things.

Questing/gameplay- Pretty much the same as WoW/Lotro/Warhammer. They use the map and tracker, etc. I chuckle when I read rift forums where people rip on WoW's questing as "too much go kill this or gather that". Rift is basically the same. Except that you are very frequently interrupted by zone invasions. I don't know if they are population based or the devs have just been into triggering extra events or what- but this weekend it's been like... an invasion within 30 mins of the last one ending? And in the <20 zone I'm in these things can really ruin your day. You really do have to put aside whatever you were doing to help resolve these assaults. Or go to the capital and find something to do for an hour.

But so far they tend to be fun. You join the public group, help contribute and get rewards that you can buy gear with. And hopefully when it's over you have enough time to buy that gear, train, sell junk at the vendor and get ready for the next invasion...

Pvp- I have not tried the Warfronts(pvp) yet, but I intend to tonight. Also note that they have a "join warfronts" interface, but they don't have a dungeonfinder interface. And they have an alternate pvp advancement system post 50. Kinda makes me think that they are going to be more pvp aimed over all. If you tried Warhammer at all, you'll see a lot of parallels to this game.

In regards to the class system: What you said in regards to balancing, it reminds me of the whole balance issue with Champions, where anyone could select any power from any tree after a certain time. End result: They just kept nerfing the OP ability of the month (mostly thanks to PvP) until everyone was pretty much useless against even the weakest of the weak minion.
    Oooh, shiny!

Check out my gaming channel on Youtube! Streams, videos, and more right here!

Tried warfronts last night. They are pretty fun. The one bg available to the 10-19 bracket is a "keep away" type game. You grab the fang and try to keep the other side from killing you- all the while the fang is doing an increasing amount of damage to you until you die. I tried to right-click to drop the fang- figuring I'd sacrifice a few points in order to get a chance to heal back up- but alas... you only drop it when you die (which was 5 seconds later). Overall a decent map for getting your feet wet.

You get xp for kills and winning or losing. I typically got double the xp for a win, and it compares with doing about 2-4 quests. Not bad overall. The one thing seemingly lacking was that the level of rewards I could find in the capital started at level 25. Will have to run around looking for the lower ones, I guess.

I've been reading that the rift spawning / invasion events are indeed population based. It appeared the vast, vast majority of the people were in Silverwood, thus is was constantly spawning rifts and invasions.

Macro Guide: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ft-Macro-Guide

Making macros in the game is an easier process than with WoW. Making macros is also more necessary in this game (IMO).

The most immediately useful type of macro for abilities I'll give an example of below.

#show Some Spell (whatever icon/tooltip you want to track)
    cast Spell A (reactive spell or off gcd spell with a cooldown)
    cast Spell B (same as A)
    cast Spell C (spell with a cooldown)
    cast Spell D (same a C)
    cast Spell E (main attack/spell with no cooldown)

That's the general order of what you'll want to macro. The way the Rift system works is that once a cast succeeds, the macro ends. In that way, it takes multiple keypresses to cycle through the above macro. Once you get to an ability that has no cooldown, the only abilities that could possibly follow it would be things like a ranged ability following a melee ability or an ability with lower mana/power requirement following one with a higher req (neither of which would work unless at range or at the lower power total).

The thread in the link has some real examples. I just wanted to point out what I feel will be the most-used type of macro.