Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rift

That's INCONCEIVABLE! Who is someone's name that I could talk to about maybe an invite or are you limiting recruitment?
    I can honestly say that I don't know how to hack.

But if you're lying I will learn, hack your computer for a location, and fly/drive/jet-ski to your location and brutally murder you.

And when I'm brought to trial I will present this thread and be acquitted of all charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Maifore View Post
    That's INCONCEIVABLE! Who is someone's name that I could talk to about maybe an invite or are you limiting recruitment?
    I don't think we even know for sure if we'll be playing a couple months from now, so limited recruitment would be pretty hilarious. Besides, we invited you before we even saw this post!

Made a toon and joined Akylios. I have a level 4 Pyromancer/Elementalist (surprise surprise). Woot!

I just started. Arric on Akylios.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Made a toon and joined Akylios. I have a level 4 Pyromancer/Elementalist (surprise surprise). Woot!
    Hit us up for an invite!

Okay, my initial impressions after getting to level 13 in the past day and a half and spending too much time playing the damn game. Keep in mind, I have never visited a Rift forum, nor have I read up on anything Rift, anywhere. I've come into the experience completely bias-free as I'd really only heard about it what...2 weeks ago? Suffice to say I haven't been paying much attention and I only got the game cause my friends were trying it out and I was lonely. :/

It's a WoW clone, no question. BUT, there are enough tweaks and things that are different to keep me interested.

So, the good and the bad:

Good:

1. Rifts and Invasions - I really enjoy these short diversions from the normal quest grinding. They're not obtrusive, they don't take very long, and the rewards you get from them are useful.

2. The graphics - Hallelujah for a graphics upgrade. 'Nuff said.

3. The UI - Hallelujah for fully customizable bars that you don't need addons to customize for you.

4. The crafting interface - I've always found WoW's to be clunky at best. And when you pile on 150+ crafting recipes for each tradeskill, finding what you're looking for is just bleah. The crafting interface so far is clean, clear, and BIGGER. So that helps tremendously.

5. Did I mention the graphics?

6. Roles and Souls - 4 different specs and endless combinations of talent trees to mess with, plus a dedicated PvP soul that doesn't interfere with PvE stuff. Nice. That'll keep me occupied for awhile as I'm a serious min/maxer at heart.

The Bad:

1. Combat isn't as smooth and responsive as I'd like it to be. Case in point: I'm a mage with a pet (no, I'm not a Warlock). I like to bind my Pet Attack Key to "T". In WoW, I press my "T", my pet immediately responds, and goes dashing off to eat my targeted baddie. In Rift, there's an ever-so-slight delay between the time I press "T" and the time my pet decides to go ambling toward the angry mob. And it throws me off and I find it annoying. Maybe it's smoother in melee or in pure casting, I'm not sure as I haven't tried anything other than my mage/pet combo.

2. Crafting can't be done while you're out adventuring, you have to be near a Loom, or a Laboratory, or a Workbench to make anything. I think this is why I didn't like Blacksmithing in WoW. I like to make stuff as soon as I have the materials to do it, and travelling back to a major city is a PITA IMO.

I haven't been in a BG, done an instance, or even grouped much with people (outside of Rifts and Invasions). So there's probably more that I'll find I like and dislike as I get further into it. I am having fun though, and it's keeping me completely occupied.

I haven't had too big a problem with the snappiness of combat. I did also notice pets seemed to take a moment to respond. I'm assuming they are awaiting server side validation, where wow might just make them move on your client right away.

Combat has been pretty responsive otherwise. It has full spell queue'ing in effect, which can be a bother sometimes. I'll end up trying to switch casts before one goes off, and still casting the original button press.

I've run into two areas so far (red rock ridge and demon steppes) in the Scarlett Gorge zone that have incredibly server side latency. everything is doable there, but it is a complete pain, and combat is a wierd game of hitting buttons, and waiting 30 seconds for the thing in front of you to die.

There are some options for the spell queue in the Interface options.

I put that one and a performance tweaking guide in posts 10 and 11 of this thread.