Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Documentary Thread

A Documentary Thread

Here are some documentaries I want to see:

Documentaries I have enjoyed:

• King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - Dudes play video games, filmmakers somehow make it extremely compelling.
    • Koyaanisqatsi and Baraka - Koyaanisqatsi is the first of a trilogy (the "-qatsi" trilogy) and Baraka is a sort of spiritual successor, directed by the original's cinematographer. No real plots, just strikingly beautiful minimalist music and imagery featuring mostly environmental themes.
    • The Staircase - Did he or didn't he?! An eight-part documentary on a murder trial that swings back and forth often enough, and features "characters" so interesting, that it feels like a dramatic miniseries on Bravo or something.
    • My Kid Could Paint That - Watched it for free on Netflix streaming one day. It's about a toddler who took the modern art world by storm with surprisingly sophisticated paint-smearing. Or did he?
    Last edited by Macheath; 01-31-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Get Lamp: a documentary about text adventures!

I thought Fresh was a good documentary. I always thought industrialized farming was really the only way to feed our entire population but it turns out that just isn't the case.

I recommend "Going To Pieces - The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Movie". I watched it on Netflix streaming, and it covers the great horror movies of the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorlin View Post
    I thought Fresh was a good documentary. I always thought industrialized farming was really the only way to feed our entire population but it turns out that just isn't the case.
    I haven't seen Fresh but the idea reminds me of Food, Inc. which is excellent. Similarly "The Botany of Desire" is an interesting journey through the evolution of four plants; tulips, marijuana, potatoes, and apples ... spoiler: they're using us for their own gain!

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    they're using us for their own gain!
    In Soviet Russia, marijuana uses you?

A Defiant Dude, a documentary about Chik-Fil-A suing some poor guy in Vermont:

Terry Pratchett's documentary about assisted suicide:

Similarly uplifting, The Suicide Tourist.

Can someone remind me of the name of the movie documentary that had the huge LARP group? I can't for the life of me remember it.