Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW New Computer Tweakathread

NEW New Computer Tweakathread

Thought my video card crapped out but now it appears my mother board crapped out. Boo-hiss. It's going on 5 years old so I guess I can't be too sad. My company's IT guy suggested the following and I'm looking for a second opinion (or alternatives).

Motherboard - $44.99 (Free Shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153170
    Processor - $72.99 (Free Shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116367
    Memory - $42.99 (Free Shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134718

FYI: My goal here is to make a reasonable upgrade to a perfectly useful but not extraordinary system. I basically use Quicken, Excel, multiple browsers, and a handful of other programs. I've pretty much forgotten about gaming on my PC with the exception of Minecraft.
    Last edited by nynnja; 02-16-2011 at 09:22 AM.

I won't pretend I've got experience with those particular parts and tell you "hey, looks fine" -- I will, however, point out a slightly more expensive option from the ArsTechnica "Budget Box" (my favorite and most trusted resource) and let you make up your own mind:

AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1ghz ($77)
    Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3 micro ATX motherboard ($75.99)
    Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9 1.5v ($53.99, $43.99 after rebate)

I thought they stopped doing those builds a couple years back (2008) otherwise I would have checked it out. Thanks for the tip.

New questions of the day:

1. If I buy one new SATA HD and keep my old IDE HD as a backup will that IDE drive slow down the whole system or just accessing that drive?

2. I know my video card is old but will it choke on Win7? Would I be better off using the video onboard the new mobo?

I'm going with a new SATA HD, and an external enclosure for my existing HD as a backup, and my IT guy says my existing video card is fine. So I'm all set to order and of course the mobo Mac linked is gone. Anybody see a similar inexpensive option?

This MSI one seems close. Any reason not to get it?

Yeah, I know, I'm mostly just talking to myself here. It's ok. I ordered the ARS system above but with the MSI board I linked. Plus a 500GB SATA HD and an external IDE enclosure for my old drive as a backup. New system = $292. I feel pretty good about that. Hopefully by next weekend it's all up and running.

The motherboard I linked was the open box version. You could have bought a new one if you'd searched for it.

I tried that but got bad results. User error.

Anyway that MSI one is identical and also open box so I saved $20.

Quote Originally Posted by nynnja View Post
    New questions of the day:

1. If I buy one new SATA HD and keep my old IDE HD as a backup will that IDE drive slow down the whole system or just accessing that drive?
    Too late yeah I know but the IDE drive will only slow down operations that access that drive. So your plan here is all fine and good.

Good to know. Got the same answer from IT guy, but that's when he suggested a $10 external USB enclosure for the backup so it can be stored in a different place. Pretty harmless, cheap, and potentially a great safety. Granted if my house burns down I'm screwed, but I put that near the bottom of the list if my house is gone.

I might still throw an IDE drive in there for daily backup.